Printer - can't reach or ping - 2 vlans

I have the following PEPLINK network:

HD2
16p switch (CONNECTS TO LAN1 ON HD2,
5 AP one enterprises (ALL CONNECT TO 16P SWITCH)

I am NOT able to share or ping the printer (192.168.15.46) on UNTAGGED VLAN from VLAN 20 OR 30.
(I’ve used the same settings on previous configs and it works).

Please advise on any incorrect / missing settings.
PRINTER VLAN PRINTER VLAN2

Settings look fine. Is the printer connected to LAN2? Is the printer using DHCP from the HD2? MIght it not have a gateway set as the LAN IP of the HD2?

2 Likes

Printer is connected to LAN1.

printer → wifi → ap one enterprise → port 3 on peplink 16p switch → port 1 on HD2 router

Printer is using DHCP from the HD2. I have a dhcp reservation for the printer by MAC in the "untagged / default VLAN 15.

Gateway is set as the LAN IP of the HD2.

I just used teamviewer to access printer. GW is correct

HP Color LaserJet MFP M281fdwgw

OK. Can you ping the printer IP from the ping tool on the HD2?

1 Like

Yes - only on the ‘untagged’ vlan

192.168.15.x / 24ping ping 2

The switch becomes the prime suspect. Is is a Peplink 16port switch? Assume its managed?

Take it out of the equation if you can, to prove intervlan routing between subnets on devices directly connected to the HD2. If that works we know its the switch settings.

1 Like

The switch becomes the prime suspect.
= Agreed

Is is a Peplink 16port switch?
= yes.

Assume its managed
= yes

Take it out of the equation if you can, to prove intervlan routing between subnets on devices directly connected to the HD2.
= Yacht is in Florida - I’m in CA.

If that works we know its the switch settings.
= What switch settings should I focus on?

VLAN Port membership

Send me the config file for the switch or grab some screenshots. Its Port VLAN membership. We need to make sure the switch Port that has the printer connected to it is in access mode for the untagged vlan and that the switch port connected to LAN1 on the HD2 is in trunk mode.

1 Like

VLAN Port membership

Send me the config file for the switch or grab some screenshots.
= It won’t allow me to attach the config file

make sure the switch Port that has the printer connected to it is in access mode for the untagged vlan
= confirmed

the switch port connected to LAN1 on the HD2 is in trunk mode.
= confirmed

Hello @CBNW,
@MartinLangmaid and several other partners here in the form are experienced in international support and supporting the Maritime industry. Suggest sending them a PM (private message) if your Certified Peplink Partner (who we hope is your supplier) is unable to help. I’m one of those that do this regularly, though, as, like many partners, it comes at a fee, you are welcome to PM us also.

So here are some questions that may help you:

• Is your system managed via InControl2 (best for VLANs across multiple devices)?
  • With your VLANs, on the router’s LAN port and the connecting port of the switch, are these both on TRUNK?
  • Have you got all of the VLANs in both the router and the switch (this is easiest done from InControl2)?
  • What ports have you programmed on the switch to ACCESS mode and what VLANs are assigned?

You may not be able to post configuration files here, though you can post images and screen captures.
Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

PS: Support here in the forum is complimentry, we all do our best to assist you here where we can :slight_smile:

2 Likes