Powering Starlink using existing cabling

Background

• We would like to add Starlink as WANs to systems based on Peplink routers (B20X and BR1 Pro units).
  • We do not have safely available AC power outside.
  • We would like to use existing CAT-5e cables (no additional cables/holes through walls). That means that the power for the Dishy has to be provided inside and carried by the CAT-5e cables.
  • We have limited (and not reliable) competency to create our own cables.
  • We are a non-profit, and the HPF dish is beyond our budget.

Questions

1. Are the existing standard in-door CAT-5e cables sufficient to (safely) carry the power to the outside sockets? They run 30-100 feet (depending on where we deploy the Dishy).

2. Recommended POE injectors (to be installed inside)?

3. Recommended plug-converters (if any required)? They can be mounted outside (as long as they don’t require additional power).

In appreciation,

Z

have a look at yaosheng starlink poe injectors, there’s one compact unit that injects and converts from 12v to the required voltage and injects it at the same time, retail is around 100$, check the one that suits your starlink antenna since there are different wattage units.

Thanks. The Yaosheng looks good, though I’d prefer a line-voltage (rather than a 12V) power feed.

Now the remaining key question: Can I feed 150W POE across a regular CAT-5e connection without hazard?

Cheers,

Z

use an OEM starlink cable.

About wattage have a look around google, I am not sure what’s the max wattage for a cat cable, but must be an easy search.

If by line power you mean 220v/120v, then use the original router as poe injector by establishing it in bridge mode.

As noted in the OP, adding new cabling from inside the house is not an option.

Cheers,

Z

The issue turns out to be pretty complex, with Google being its usually self-contradictory self. I am hoping for some first-hand experience.

The router depends on the Starlink cable, hence not applicable in this particular scenario without at least some degree of handmade customization. Otherwise, a nice suggestion.

Cheers,

Sigurd

2 Likes

Cat5e is likely not sufficient to carry the watts needed for starlink when in flat high performance mode.
What is the category of cable on the outside jacket of your existing wiring?
What is the category of cable on the outside jacket of your starlink dish cable?
What model of starlink are you using?
Any pictures you can share?

1 Like

Existing cabling is in the walls. I know it is CAT-5e, but further specifics are yet to be chased down.

None yet, this is principally a question of feasibility. Budget being an issue the hope is to employ a standard plan with a less-expensive antenna (not the high-performance one).

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Z

1 Like

I see that the Starlink mini draws no more than 40W. Doable?

Cheers,

Z

Starlink mini would require a cable modification, or external power.
Maybe you should try standard, however I’m not sure of performance if you require snowmelt mode.
I would confirm the category of cable you ran in relation to the category of cable with the dish.
Do you already have the routers, dishes?
We are a starlink partner and can help you further, feel free to contact me [email protected]
Once we get some pictures more understanding of cabling maybe we can assist more.

This can easily be done with the Gen2 or Gen3 standard dishes. If you have a Gen2 standard you would need adapters to get it to the proprietary connector.

If Gen3, it uses what is almost a normal ethernet cable anyway. The factory cable just has some added pieces of rubber to help weatherproof it. I would just buy a short Gen3 cable off Amazon, cut it in half, put a weatherproof splice outside tying into your existing cable.

If you go with a Mini, it gets a little more complex. I have “converted” a few mini’s to using normal Cat5e/Cat6 for longer runs, mostly for temporary connections/events using something like this…
https://a.co/d/iL0kbme

1 Like

The adapters you link to, what transmission speeds do they support? And what power injector do you use for the Starlink mini configuration?

Cheers,

Z

1 Like

They link up at 1G. For the last Mini we set up for an event, I just used a normal 48V power supply.

2 Likes

Could you provide the purchase specs for the splitter pair in the picture (they are different from the ones in the link in the previous message, and the latter only go to 100Mbps)?

Thanks,

Sigurd

2 Likes