Power of Ethernet through Br1 slim frying my pc

Hi All,

I have a problem with PoE going through a Max BR1 Slim through the LAN port and then the WAN port gets connected to a switch. The unit is powered externally by the terminal block but there’s PoE locally because of other devices using it.
I’m aware that the device doesn’t support PoE but passing PoE through shouldn’t be an issue.

If I don’t connect anything to the wan port of the BR1 everything is fine so this is working well:
Computer providing PoE → Pepwave Br1 Slim LAN → Pepwave Br1 Slim WAN

If I connect a switch to the wan port of the BR1 then the computer either shuts down or there’s smoking coming out of the pc, so this is a problem:
Computer providing PoE → Pepwave Br1 Slim LAN → Pepwave Br1 Slim WAN → Non PoE Netgear switch

If I get rid of PoE before connecting to the BR1 and I connect to an external switch then everything is fine, so this works:
Computer providing PoE → Non PoE switch → Pepwave Br1 Slim LAN → Pepwave Br1 slim WAN → Non PoE Netgear switch

Just to clarify, this is also fine:
Computer providing PoE → Non PoE Netgear switch

When I investigated what was frying in the PC I found that the external side of the Ethernet Isolation transformer, to which the pepwave is connected, was burning and then breaking, when a wan cable going to a switch is connected to the wan port of the br1 slim.

Could it be that internally the BR1 slim is swapping the order of some cables between Lan and Wan port? And when the wan port gets connected to an external switch then power gets injected back or shorted?

Regards
Max

The BR1 Slim does not support PoE in or PoE pass-through. If you are applying voltage to either the LAN or WAN ports then you will likely damage the device along with any device that is connected to it.

The only supported powering options are via the green terminal strip or micro USB connectors.