Possible race condition - fusionhub in the cloud

Background:

• vultr.com platform for a FusionHub Solo instance
  • Based on a FW 7.1.0 snapshot (current firmware is 8.0.0)
  • IC2 set to update firmware automatically

Issue/observations #1:

• Spin up the instance based on the snapshot
  • Configure the instance (all defaults) and add the license code
  • Watch it announce the reboot
  • The resulting instance does not accept logins/respond to pings
  • Restarting the vultr instance does not resolve the issue

Observation #2:

• Turn off IC2 automatic FW update for fusionhubs and all is well

Conjecture:
There is a race condition. Once the license during the instance setup is entered it registers with IC2, which immediately tries to update the firmware. Somehow that interacts with the other provisioning of the new instance, and the state gets messed up.

Workaround:
Disable the automatic firmware update for the unit or for fusionhubs generally in the IC2 setup during the spin-up of a new vultr instance, preventing the immediate FW update.

Caveat:
The experience is replicable on vultr. I have not experimented on other platforms.

1 Like

Do allow me to clarify what are you trying to achieve here:

1. You installed and powered up the 1st FusionHub (FusionHub A) in vultr.com.
  2. You do a snapshot on FusionHub A before you configured the WAN interface and input the license key.
  3. You restore the snapshot of FusionHub A by creating a new FusionHub (FusionHub B).
  4. Then you face the reported issue on FusionHub B.

May I know my understanding is correct?

1 Like

That is correct. And the license key used to enable the new instance was not in use on any other fusionhub.

The installation steps worked well once I turned off the automatic fw update feature of IC2.

@zegor_mjol

Would you able to reproduce this and PM me the FusionHub SOLO license info for us to further investigate ? Make sure no changes make in IC2 for the SOLO device after you replicated the problem.

1 Like

Will do and report back.

Z

1 Like

@sitloongs - you have magic hands. Just a touch of interest from you and the issue refuses to manifest itself!

So - the good news is that the installation steps from the 7.1.0 sanpshot work quite well. So either vultr had a bad day or I did something incorrectly and repeatedly.

Thanks for taking an interest, with regret that some of your time got wasted.

Z

2 Likes

@zegor_mjol

no worry … we work as a team :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes