Port # status for clients

Hi Peplink Folks!

Just wondering if a feature request that would show which client is connected to which port on a router (HD4/MBX/etc) would be feasible.

Thanks!

1 Like

@JasonHilton, do you mean something like how our SD-Switch > Client List looks like?

Do you mind sharing with us how this feature will help in your deployment? And what other models besides HD4/MBX that you think should be included?

2 Likes

Hi, yes, exactly! I think this would be useful on any of your routers, but we mostly use MBXs and SDX Pro’s these days.

Our IT team has moved to a zero-touch deployment model where we drop ship Peplink hardware to a location, where it’s then connected by a local employee or contractor. We’d like to be able to determine which devices are connected to a particular port without having the employee/contractor trace wires.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Additionally, on the SDX Pro with a SFP+ module set as LAN, there’s no viewable port/SFP status without going to support.cgi.

2 Likes

@JasonHilton, what sort of details you are expecting to be viewable? Do you mean the information like Interface Name (LAN, SFP1, etc) & Status (Speed, Duplex, Link UP/Down)?

1 Like

@WeiMing - As a potential enhancement here to consider would be adding LLDP information to the client list, NAME could be populated with this information or an additional column added if it is available?

Handy for when people plug things in without following instructions! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@WillJones, yeah, LLDP could be one of the possible considerations, assuming the connected clients are LLDP devices. :wink:

1 Like

Hi @WeiMing

Yes, I think something like this would be fine for the SDX Pro:

1 Like

@JasonHilton, if that is the case, then can I assume the LAN port status will be displayed on the Dashboard page when hovering the mouse cursor (or clicking on it), similar to the presentation from the SD Switch (below)?

2 Likes

@WeiMing, Yep, that’d be fine too.

Just to clarify, I think this is now two separate feature requests:

1. Client port number identification for routers. (Like how the SD switch displays the client list.)
  2. SDX Pro LAN/SFP Status. (Either on the dashboard or in Network > LAN > Port Settings)

Thanks again!

@JasonHilton, thanks for the confirmation. I will send these 2 requests to the relevant team for their review and consideration. Shall share here when an update is available.

2 Likes