Poor T-Mobile speeds

I put a sim in my new Balance 20X, because why not? I’m not expecting to need it, there’s already two broadband connections. However, the performance I’m getting is very disappointing, and looks suspiciously like it’s capped.

I’m using a T-mobile sim, with a “T-Mobile Unlimited Tablet TE”, which only costs $25/month. From that I get 0.5Mb/s down, with very little variation. That’s disappointing because my LTE iPhone sitting next to the Balance will get 20-25Mb/s down. (Though for upstream, it seems to do better, 6Mb/s vs 3Mb/s.)

The fact that it’s such a consistent speed makes me think there’s a cap somewhere. T-Mobile are more confusing than helpful when I look at their website. In small print under the plan, it says:

Video typically streams on smartphone/tablet at DVD quality (480p). Go 5G: During congestion, customers on this plan using >100GB/mo. may notice reduced speeds until next bill cycle due to data prioritization. Activate up to HD streaming on capable device, or video typically streams in SD. Up to 15GB high-speed tethering then unlimited on our network at max 3G speeds. Go5GPlus: Activate up to 4K UHD streaming on capable device, or video typically streams in SD. Up to 50GB high-speed tethering then unlimited on our network at max 3G speeds.

Personally I’d say DVD speeds are average 4Mb/s. It seems to hold out the hope of upgrading the line, in some manner, but nothing I click on gives me that option.

0.5Mb/s is just not useful, so I’ll be killing the line unless I can find something better. Any ideas?

You appear to be using a plan intended for tablets rather than routers/hotspots. You’re seeing the likely result. TMO has plans suitable for routers – it’s just that you do not have one.

1 Like

I can’t find any suitable T-Mobile options, the only internet option they want to supply a “free” wifi router, not “bring your own”.

Three thoughts:

1. Have you visited a TMO store with your router (or IMEI) in-hand? That has been a successful approach for some of our customers.
  2. I’ll mention that we have two T-Mobile test SIMs we acquired from this page – Prepaid Data Plans for Hotspots & Tablets | T-Mobile Prepaid . They work.
  3. If you can qualify for a business account there are more options. We have an unlimited TMO SIM for which we may a reasonable sum each month but the location of use must be vetted (only fixed locations where TMO has excess capacity.) You will not find this opportunity on-line.

I feel your frustration and join you in this. And, I’ll mention this is why we refuse to resell mobile data plans.

Thank you.

Those options didn’t show up in my account, and when I tried to select it, I got to “I already have an account”, log in, and it just went to the generic account page, where that was not an option.

I had to use the online chat, which I hate, but 49 mins later, I have a new sim winging it’s way to me.

I absolutely hate talking to customer disservice like that, I usually don’t have the spoons.

Could I ask what the “reasonable sum” is? This isn’t critical for me, and $20 month is about as much as it’s worth to me.

Also on the generic account page, the plan was listed as “BYOD-ROUTER, No Add-Ons”, which sounds like the right thing, but was then “T-Mobile Unlimited Tablet TE” when you click on the line.

We pay about $50/month

I’d like to tell you I’m surprised. ;<)

I got the new T-Mobile sim, with “Mobile Internet 5GB (TE)”. That gets 5G/moth for $25, either “mobile” or “hotspot”. I’ve been assuming the router counts as hotspot.

That’s getting speeds or around 10Mb/7Mb, which is reasonable.

At the same time, I also got a Mint Mobile sim, they’re offering $15/month for 3 months on any of their plans. I got the 20GB/month plan. It uses the T-Mobile network, so is getting much the same speeds. After the introductory period, it’s about the same price as T-Mobile, but you have to pay 3 months in advance, or it’s cheaper if you pay 12 months in advance. Then the 20GB/month would be $25.

1 Like

I might also mention that AT&T has a similar pre-paid plan for moderate users. $300 for a year in advance. 20gB/month. One of our test SIMs is on this plan and it works well.

3 months later, I’ve decided to use the Mint Mobile plan, $360/year for 15GB/month.

I cancelled the T-Mobile sim.

I even did a test where I unplugged the Cabel and DSL, so it was only using cellular, and thanks to the Balance 20X, nothing noticed. (Apart from things were a bit slow at times.)