Please include the rule name in the firewall log

The title says it all. Would be helpful.

5 Likes

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the feature request, it is now pending in our feature improvement list now.

6 Likes

On a related note, anyone know how long a firewall name can be?
What characters are allowed?
What characters are not allowed?

I ask because its not in the Balance manual (as of fw 8.0.2 found at
https://download.peplink.com/manual/peplink-balance-and-mediafast-firmware-manual-8.0.2.pdf)

1 Like

We accept special character and below 30 characters should be fine. May I know how long of the firewall name you are looking for?

2 Likes

I am not looking for a specific length. My preference is for comments for each rule but without comments we need to give each rule a descriptive name and that can sometimes be long. 30 characters is fine, I just wanted to know what the limit is. Thank you.

1 Like

So, NAT slipstreaming and ALGs are now dangerous. I don’t fully understand it, but I created outbound firewall rules that mimic the ports web browsers are blocking.

But, there is no way in the future that I will remember why any of these ports triggered a firewall log record. PLEASE include the firewall name when a rule is tripped and a log record created.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE

3 Likes

We hear that. I have put a remark on this request to the engineering team.

3 Likes

In the current firmware 8.1.3 was this ever added? Being able to see the name of the firewall rule in the log is very important. I’m really suprised this hasn’t been added a long time ago.

1 Like

It would seem this was not added.
The release notes for RC1 of the 8.1.3 firmware are

no mention of this. However, a similar change was made in 8.1.3, in the AP Event Log where user-friendly computer names are being added to the log.

2 Likes

The Name in the firewall log would be perfect, also for me.

1 Like

Thanks Michael for checking and letting me know.

One other question I have if you don’t mind. In your screenshot above, I noticed you have a bunch of firewall rules that have only one port selected. Are you only able to select one port per rule or are you able to have a list of ports per rule so you wouldn’t need to have so many of them? I wonder the same thing about ip address also.

One firewall rule can reference a group of IP addresses. That is fairly new addition, I think in firmware 8.something. You give the group a name and refer to the name in the firewall rule.

A single firewall rule can refer to a range of ports, but the range must be consecutive. There is no grouping of port numbers as there is for IP addresses.

2 Likes

Thanks for that information.

I would think that would also be a very good feature request. I don’t know if it’s been brought up before or not, but that certainly would be very helpful if you had the ability to create either a list of ports per rule or create a group for ports that you could then add per rule.

I know in the software firewall that I use now, that I’ve been using for a really long time (don’t ask how long, it’s a long time lol) they have a group tab for ip addresses too that you can add to rules. In the rules though you can list a ton of ip addresses or ports easily for just one rule. There isn’t that limitation. It just makes it so much more easy to manage your ruleset since you don’t have to create so many unnecessary rules.

I don’t see this in the 8.2 release notes. Is it still a planned change?

2 Likes

Wow, I hope this wasn’t forgotten about. I just bought a new peplink router recently and was really hoping this was one of the things they were going to be adding to the next firmware. It would be disappointing if this wasn’t included.

2 Likes

+1 to add this

1 Like

+1 – please

This feature was scheduled to v9.0.0. Thanks for staying tuned with us!

1 Like