Physical Interface Settings 100 Full Duplex No Connection

When found that certain carriers require the port to be forced to 100Mbps Full Duplex to realize the full internet speed. When we select this mode from Auto, the connection fails. The only way around this is to use a switch in between the Peplink and the ONT handoff.

Tested on All Balance Series and SOHO
Carrier: AT&T Fiber Circuit.

Has anyone else seen this?

Same here on Verizon. If I try to switch from Auto to 100Mbps Full Duplex the connection fails.

Can someone from Peplink confirm this is an issue? The workaround is messy and having to explain it to other MSPs is a bad look for us who has standardized on this product.

This most likely relate to the port sync issue.

• May I know what is the negotiated port speed and duplex mode if the WAN port set as Auto?
  • Can you share the internet speed you got when the WAN port set as Auto?
  • May I know any explanation from the ISP why manual port speed and duplex mode are needed?

The WAN port of Peplink device is set as 100Mbps Full Duplex in this case?

1 Like

May I know what is the negotiated port speed and duplex mode if the WAN port set as Auto?

100Mbps Full Duplex

Can you share the internet speed you got when the WAN port set as Auto?

It was around 5Mbps, the fiber internet speed was 25/25.

May I know any explanation from the ISP why manual port speed and duplex mode are needed?

AT&T fiber requires 100 Full Duplex

The WAN port of Peplink device is set as 100Mbps Full Duplex in this case?

Yes, and once we set up the switch and forced 100 FD, our speed tests from the Peplink showed ~25/25

By right, auto negotiated port speed with 100Mbps Full Duplex or enforced 100Mbps Full Duplex manually shouldn’t have the different. I worry other factors affect your throughput. I suggest opening a ticket for us to take a closer look.

1 Like

I agree, it shouldn’t happen but when I force 100 Mbps FD, the connection drops completely.

I’ve opened a ticket with our distributor but it’s difficult for us to be able to test since we don’t have AT&T in house. The distributor lacks the lab for replicating the scenario and for us to test it we would have to bring a customer down and pay for a technician to be on site.

Not sure how to get this done.

We were able to replicate this using a switch. We forced a switch port to 100 FD and when we set the Peplink to 100 FD the connection drops.

Please treat the low throughput and port sync/compatible issue as 2 different cases.

For the low throughput issue when WAN port set as Auto, please open a ticket to us. I believe the reason of fixing the port speed is due to you can’t get the actual throughput.

For port sync/compatible issue, it should relate to the ethernet chipset from different brand. Since Auto port speed works well in your enviroment, I suggest focusing to the low throughput issue at this stage.

2 Likes