Pepwave Surf SOHO VLAN question

I am considering buying a Pepwave Surf SOHO router. I’ve read a lot of information about the possibilities of this device but some things are not clear to me. Consider the following situation:

VLAN 1 (wired): NAS device: layer 2 isolation off, Inter-VLan routing on
VLAN 2 (wireless): Multiple client devices: layer 2 isolation on, Inter-VLan routing on

If I understand correctly the devices in VLAN 2 are unable to connect to eachother due to layer 2 isolation. But I wonder if the devices in VLAN 2 are able to connect to the NAS in VLAN 1?

Another question I have is the following. Suppose I have the following two VLANS:

VLAN 1, layer 2 isolation off, Inter-VLan routing off
VLAN 2, layer 2 isolation off, Inter-VLan routing on

Are devices in VLAN 1 able to connect to devices in VLAN 2. And the other way around, are devices in VLAN 2 able to connect to devices in VLAN 1?

Thanks in advance,
Fab

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

Yes they can since inter vlan routing is a Layer 3 process.

No. VLAN 1 has inter vlan routing disabled so no L3 routing between vlans is possible for VLAN1.

If you want more control over routing between vlans, you should leave inter-vlan routing on for them all and then create internal firewall rules to block or allow traffic.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thats something I really want, that’s great.

Ok, but from my knowledge the Pepwave SOHO Surf does not support internal firewall rules, only inbound and outbound to and from the internet, or am I incorrect?

I had to check though because the SOHO has a weird subset of features. But on the SOHO I checked (running fw 7.1.1) you can use inbound / outbound and internal firewall rules.

2 Likes

as Martin said. Also with FW 8.0.0 in a SoHo available

1 Like

Very nice addition, order is on it’s way, tnx

1 Like