Pepwave Max transit Duo Hot to touch

For those with heat issues, what power source are you using? I have mine wired to 12V in my 5th wheel, but I “cheated” and used the barrel plug instead of the console connector (took a cigarette lighter plug designed for the pepwave and cut the wires and ran direct to 12V) It made it easier to hard boot the device. Wondering if 12v runs hotter or if my cheat may be contributing to the excessive temp?

Room Temp: 70
Case temp (in closed cabinet in RV): 106

106 should not be of concern…

FWIW, the specs (see Peplink.com - Model Comparison) allow for a rather warm environment:
Operating Temperature: -40° – 149°F

Cheers,

Z

No. It runs hot for ME no matter what source I use. It won’t work if the power supply isn’t strong enough, i.e. trying to use a small portable power pack. Then when power supply is strong enough like the wall plug, plugging into a big portable jackery (all of which I’ve done) or wiring it with the auxiliary cord they sent me directly to 12V it runs burning hot to the touch.

Rachel

I chose the two part version as my MT is mounted on a wall and I wanted the fins to be vertical for passive heat dissipation. That one piece heat sink wouldn’t draw off enough heat for my installation as the fins would be sideways, for me, I wanted very efficient convection cooling when I don’t need the fan running. I did not see one where the fins ran across the 3" dimension. If it exists I would prefer that so I could get by with just one tie wrap. :slight_smile: -Bill