Pepwave max cable type

I want to buy a cable for extend the receiving antenna. Would u mind telling me which type of cable should I buy ? RB174? Other specification?
Thx a lot.

Hi Will,

welcome to our Forum!

You want to extend the LTE-Antenna right? Don’t forget the cable attenuation. With a bad cable and/or a long cable you will have a poor signal.

Here you can see a few cables. I calculate it with 10m and 2400MHz

Regards
Dennis

1 Like

If I want to extend more 10M , which cable type should I buy ? :pray:

If from pepwave to antenna is 30M
Would you mind telling me which cable is better ? Pls get me ideal.
Belowing photo is a sample

30m is a really huge distance for an HF-cable. You need a thick cable (at least 15mm) an a verry good antenna.
I think the better way find a better position for the router. If this is not pissible, change it into an HD2 Dome.

1 Like

If 10/20/30M cable , how many “Ω”should I buy ?
50Ω?
RB174?
How many mm cable?
:pray::pray::pray:

you need always 50Ohm. look at the datasheets of the cables. The RG174 is a poor cable. e.g. the Ecoflex 15 plus is a verry good cable.
It depends on the antenna. The “dBi” 's ,the cable attenuation.
I recommend you to contact your peplink partner. This can certainly help you to get the right stuff

1 Like

Mean is Ecoflex 15 plus 50Ω cable10-15mm 20-30M
is better? :pray:

Yes, in my opinion it’s one of the best cables. Please calculate it yourself :wink:
You should know what you do. What antenna do you want to install? How many dB?

No possibility to change the routers position?

1 Like

10M is a very long run, I’d look into re-locating the pepwave unit to be closer to the antenna and try to do less.

lmr-400 cable is good

For a long run (such as your 30 feet/10 m) the quality of the cable has a very significant effect.

E.g., the RG-174 attenuates by 6.8dB at 700 MHz (a lot) whereas the LMR-400 attenuates only by 1.0 dB (not much). A 3 dB improvement corresponds to a doubling of the signal quality.

The frequency of the signal also matters a lot. The above length runs at 2100 MHz rather than 700 give you attenuation of 12.1 dB and 1.8 dB respectively.

So: The signal quality becomes a function of the quality of your antenna, the quality of your cable and the length of the cable run.

Calculate it out, check references for what you need at the device (RSRP anywhere worse than -102dBm is pretty useless IMHO).

To calculate cable run attenuation for various cable qualities, run lengths and signal frequencies you may want to check out Coaxial Cable Attenuation and Power Handling Calculator | Times Microwave Systems

For a summary of the interpretation of signal strength values you may want to check out http://usatcorp.com/faqs/understanding-lte-signal-strength-values/

FWIW, we have one deployment where the cable run is about 100 feet/30m. With LMR-400 cabling and a decent MIMO directional panel antenna we get about the same signal at the device as we would if the device had been deployed with the default antennas at the same location as the panel antennas (approx. -93dBm - good enough to make other issues the determining factors w.r.t. network speed).

Finally, keep in mind that high-quality (coax) antenna cables are very stiff and somewhat bulky - so evaluate what the run itself looks like besides how long it is.

Good luck.

7 Likes