Pepwave MAX BR1 Mini PoE Input

I have not been able to power the BR1 Mini via the LAN/WAN port using standard PoE (802.3af/802.3at) enabled switches. Peplink sells a “passive” PoE injector ACW-102. What are it’s input and output power specs? I am trying come up with a comprehensive solution for large VoIP LTE failover deployments.

BR1 Mini can be powered on with 12V passive POE. Please find the testing below.

The passive PoE injector ACW-102 with 12V in and 12V out.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. What distance is supported? This means that a standard PoE switch can’t be used to power the Mini. Bummer!

I think a line should be added to the Mini data sheet right below the ACW-411 listing the ACW-102 PoE Injector. This would let people know what’s required and prevent upset integrators/customers like the one I have to deal with now.

The Power input on the terminal block & DC IN are “DC 12V – 28V 2A”
Is the PoE also DC 12V – 28V 2A?
If so, you can use 24V PoE switches with the BR1 Mini or you could use a PoE extractor and/or converter to change the voltage and extract the power.
Something like this would do the trick
https://www.amazon.com/iCreatin-ethernet-Splitter-Adapter-Compliant/dp/B00SM196AE

1 Like

Around 50ft.

The splitter noted above make more sense than the Peplink injector. It allows the Mini (or any BR1) to be powered by a PoE switch that is 802.3 compliant. This allows the PoE power source to be 100m from the BR1. I think Peplink should test and market it in addition to the ACW-102.

We are using one of those (a SMAKN Active Gigabit PoE Splitter Adapter) for a Max Transit - works quite well off a Buffalo PoE switch. Claims to work up to 100 meter/300 feet.

Hello @TK_Liew,
What other models has the “Passive PoE Injector PE-1012” been tested on? I’m interested if they could be used on a MAX Transit Duo (currently we use something similar to what @SamuelNorris mentioned).
Appreciate your assistance,
Marcus :slight_smile:

@mldowling, Max Transit support AC Input 100V – 240V / DC Output 12V, 2A and 2x Micro USB with 5V, 2A each. Unfortunately, it doesn’t support passive POE input.

So @TK_Liew

Happy to Help :slight_smile:

ACW-102 (Passive POE Injector 12VDC) can used to power on BR1 Mini only.

1 Like

Hi Team, on the Transit Mini spec sheet, it lists Passive PoE input as being able to power the device. Is the correct sku for that ACW-102? Or something else? Please include that sku on the TST-MINI product page.

ACW-102 is correct for the Transit Mini but it will not work on the regular Transit or Transit Duo. Thanks

@mldowling

We have been using the passive POE to power our devices for some time.
I’m actually really surprised at how few devices mention that it’s capable of it.

I have tested this just now on a:
BR1 HW2 -works
BR1 HW3-works
BR1 Mini -works
Transit Mini-works
MAX OnTheGo HW works (WAN5)
B20x -does not work\requires both sides and a connection to the DC jack.
(note on all devices you must connect the passive cable on the WAN port)

I’m pretty sure I also tested on a transit single, slim, and MK2 and recall it working with just the single side or a ACW-102.

I posted this alternative POE injector here:
The great thing is , if it doesn’t work with just the Female 5.5x2.1 mm side of the kit you can use both sides and connect to the male DC jack.

2 Likes