PepWave Max BR1 mini Antenna mounts coming lose

We have 29 units and we have noticed that the nuts that hold the antenna mount to the actual unit are constantly coming lose. Then the units lose Cell Connection. The “Star” washer is not holding the nut secure, Does anyone have a better way to lock this tight? Will a simple Lock washer work in addition to the star washer?

Just so we understand … When you refer to “antenna mount”, do you mean the SMA connector/jack?

Yes, the small thin gold colored nut that locks down on the star washer that holds the SMA Connector jack to the body of the Max BR1 unit.

@ATI_Ambulance

Just checked 1 of the BR1 Mini device that i having. The NUT is secure fasten and even i can’t remove it by using my hand.

To understand more on this, may i know the use case deployment for the BR1 mini device ?

1. BR1 Mini is permanently mounted ? Do you have the photo that can share ?

2. BR1 Mini is deploy in a moving vehicle ? Any vibration for the device ?

3. What type of antenna is use to connect for the SMA connector ? Antenna is Permanently connected or you will having frequently removing the antenna ?

4. Would you able to share the photo that showing “The “Star” washer is not holding the nut secure” ?

1 Like

In addition to the good questions @sitloongs asked, I’d suggest:

1. Tighten the nuts down with a small wrench. Just a few inch-pounds of torque as appropriate for that size of fastener. Be certain not to “spin” the jack, however.
  2. Ensure the antenna cables are secure, and don’t move. In a mobile environment (and some fixed locations) we usually secure the antenna cables to tie-mounts with small cable ties just a few inches from the connectors. The objective is no vibration/movement of the cables.
  3. We’d consider adding lock washers but have never found the need to do so.

Your answers to @sitloongs’ questions will be helpful.

1 Like
  1. yes it is permanently Mounted

2. It is deployed in a moving vehicle.

3. It has the antenna that came with the unit. It is permanently connected and never removed.

4. I have included photos to help show the problem.

5. We have tightened down the nuts several times.

6. All antenna cables are secure and don’t move and they are not in an area that they can be moved or hit easily.

of our 29 units we have found this issue is happening more and more often with more of the units. Our first clue is that the unit loses cell signal and disconnects from the web.

Allen

Rick-DC Elite Team
January 8

1. Tighten the nuts down with a small wrench. Just a few inch-pounds of torque as appropriate for that size of fastener. Be certain not to “spin” the jack, however.
  2. Ensure the antenna cables are secure, and don’t move. In a mobile environment (and some fixed locations) we usually secure the antenna cables to tie-mounts with small cable ties just a few inches from the connectors. The objective is no vibration/movement of the cables.

Rick-DC Elite Team
January 8

@ATI_Ambulance

Do give me sometimes to go through the above provided info. I will advice back shortly.

1 Like

@ATI_Ambulance

Please stay tuned. I’m checking with hardware team now for a better way to work on this.

1 Like

The panel you have the BR1 Mini mounted to will vibrate a lot.

Stick some threadlocker on the SMA threads and consider using vibration isolator mounts on the BR1 Mini flanges.

1 Like

So thread locker for the nuts instead of a split ring lock washer?

and would a 1/16 inch foam pad tape work as a vibration isolator?

The truth of it is that its really hard to tell whats going to work best here.

I bet that panel had a standard frequency that it vibrates at when the vehicle is at idle, then a whole range of frequencies as the RPM and vehicle speed changes.

With the SMA nut tightened, thread locker by itself might be enough to stop the initial loosening of the nut. Personally I find split ring lock washers so useless in general that I won’t bother here. I do like the nord-lock style washers though and can’t say enough good things about them for in vehicle installs in general (particularly marine).

Don’t use foam tape unless you have to, in which case use two thicknesses like a 5mm and 8mm, cut into squares positioning the two 5 mm squares at the top and the 8mm at the bottom and screw through them. The two thicknesses will disrupt the vibration better than a solid run of foam.

Otherwise buy some proper Sorbothane / urethane vibration isolators.

2 Likes

Some of the BR1 units are mounted on its side, some are mounted on solid walls, some are mounted on carpeted walls, some are mounted in small trucks, some are mounted in large trucks. All the units are having issues with the nuts. we did not notice it until 2 months after the install of the units. it took another few weeks to realize this was issues with all units, not just a few. we will start with the thread locker and see if that fixes it, then I will report back to let you know how it is working.

also for other technical issues for the operation of the units is there a live technical support number to call or a life on line technical chat?