Pepwave and “new” visible network

Has anyone upgraded to the NEW visible network in their pepwave?

I have visible working great in my max br1 5g, and am getting emails from visible to upgrade

I tried to upgrade but it will not allow various of my Pepwave devices. I spoke to Visible and after passing through a lot of layers was told that visible no longer allows non-phone devices. I’ve now deactivated 2 of my 5 visible SIMs because of recent throttling and before they remove support completely and I have to drive 3 hours and then 5 miles on dirt roads to swap out SIMs.
You may get lucky with your BR1 5G, but I’ve noticed that visible has been much more aggressively throttling to 5Mbps over the last few months since Verizon has taken more control.

Thanks for the reply. I’m ok with 5mbps, I just want it to work! :grinning:

Running Visible on a BR1 5G and a MAX BR2 Pro. You can get around throttling to 5Mbps by changing your TTL to 64. I’m pulling close to 100Mbps on Visible+.

2 Likes

So far I have been told of observations that the base plan working in a number of peplink devices with CAT-4, CAT-18 and 5G modems.
Note that the APN has changed, with reports of success for “internet” and the default Verizon APN of “vzwinternet”.
Speeds comparable to a regular Verizon plan on the same device (but this was a very limited test environment, I was told, only one locale).
We’re staying with T-Mobile and regular Verizon plans for our deployments.
As usual, YMMV.

Cheers,

Z

3 Likes

I used to have the original Visible Party Pay plan, and just upgraded to the new plan today. I was able to get my MAX BR1 MK2 working with the new Visible plan but I had to make one change.
Basically, all the same settings as the old plan, just had to change the APN from “vsblinternet” to “vzwinternet”.

WAN connection settings, Network Mode: Generic
Cellular Settings, Operator Settings: Custom
Cellular Settings, APN: vzwinternet

I have setup two new Peplink routers (Max BR1 Pro and Max Transit Pro) using Visible SIMs from the new plans. If you put a visible sim into a new router with factory configuration, it detects it as a normal Verizion SIM and works fine with no other configuration. There is no need anymore with the new plans to set the mode to “Generic” or change the APN setting.

One thing I have learned is that Visible has decommissioned their provisioning servers on the Verizon network. If you have successfully used an “old plan” visible SIM on a Peplink router in the past, it will continue to work (for now) because the cellular modem has received and stored the configuration of connecting to old visible network in flash memory. If you try to move this sim to a new router, it will not be able to register/provision onto the old visible network. Aslo, any working “old-plan” visible SIMs will continue to work for about 6 more months before the entire “old” visible network is completely decommissioned.

Also, changing the TTL on your Visible account to get more speed than you are paying for will most likely get your account flagged and canceled. I highly discourage anyone from doing this.

Working just fine for me. Changing the TTL to reflect a phone won’t get your account banned. As a matter of fact, the Peplink device shows up. No such thing as getting more speed than you’re paying for either.

I agree that simply changing the TTL will not get your banned, but modifying it in order to “get around throttling to 5Mbps” will eventually do the trick. If you are consuming data for a significant amount of time at 100+Mbps, your account WILL trigger scrutiny by its EXCESSIVE data use (do the math). I am personally aware of 4 people who learned the hard way, but you can do what you want.

Kevin,
Are you saying that the new Visible plans you can leave the cell settings to “auto” and it will get picked up as a Verizon SIM automatically?

Thanks.

I know you addressed this to Kevin, but the answer, at least for me, is yes. I have it set to auto and it picks up as Verizon with an APN of “vzwinternet”.

Yes. It gets picked up automatically just like a regular Verizon SIM. No need to manually configure anything.

I feel it is also important to remind anyone reading this that you MUST first put the Visible SIM into a compatible cell phone and make sure it activated and working by running the visible app. If you establish and have working LTE connection on the cell phone, only then can you transfer it to the peplink router.

1 Like

I have a visible sim working under the ‘old’ plan. Tried to upgrade and they noted my IMEI was not compatible. So how to either upgrade or just order a new sim? Use a compatible IMEI from a phone?

Ah, here came the answer (msg above)

Use a compatible IMEI from another phone. In my case I used an iPhone 11.

1 Like

Can confirm working on Pepwave MAX Transit Duo LTEA with following steps:

A) Activate SIM card in a compatible iPhone first (used an iPhone 8 running 16.3.1(a)) with the Visible app
B) Wait for activation on iOS device and make a test phone call
C) APN set to vzwinternet and TTL set to 64

Did a speed test with both speedtest.net and Ubiquiti WiFiman and pulling about 24/20 Mbps after Pepwave got an IP adress.

2 Likes