PEPVPN over Verizon LTE

I have 11 Pepwave MAX (BR1, BR1 Slim and ENT mix) and I’m trying to setup a PEPVPN between them over Verizon LTE. they will make the connection if all connected via Wifi-WAN but not as a cellular only connection. I’ve called Verizon and had them check port 32015 but they say it is not blocked. Can anyone give me any advice on how to get the PEPVPN up and going on these devices.

Are the 11 devices connecting to a Balance router or a FusionHub?

1 Like

Hi Tim.

No the plan was to use the Pepwave MAX ENT as the host to a spoke PEPvpn connection and have the other units connect to it. These units are planned to be used to connect some environmental sensors to a central node for archival and visualization. Do I need one of those for it to work?And if so why would it work via WiFi Wan but not cell. Thanks Dusty

Dusty,

What is your APN on the Verizon network?

Does the BR1 ENT have a static IP for the other devices to connect to? Also, in order to do more than 2 PepVPN tunnels you will need the 20 peer license.

1 Like

My APN for verizon is VZWINTERNET.

I plan to purchase the 20 peer license as soon as I can confirm we can establish the PEPVPN over the cell based network.

These devices are being placed on tactical solar powered stands with environmental monitors (including the ENT) so the only network we can assume is the Cell network. Does the ENT need a static IP? it seems as though it should be able to adjust right? If not would it be better to have the ENT on a static IP at say an office building and then reach have everything connect back to it.

Thanks
Dusty

Dusty,

I just put 5 Max Transits online with Verizon this week using PepVPN. You’re gonna need static IPs otherwise Verizon is not going to route the traffic. Also, I had issues with the way Verizon assigns the default gateway to the devices. I ended up needing to get five addresses on 5 different subnets, otherwise I ended up with the gateway address for one device being the IP address of another one of my devices. As I was told, Verizon’s system assigns the gateway as one up from the assigned IP address which worked fine for all of my other traffic but played havoc on establishing my VPN connections. Due to the limit of two VPN links, I’ve got mine set up in a ring topology since cellular is the back up to my cable star topology. $500 one time setup fee for the static IP. Luckily, my fee was waved since it was for a government agency.

Thanks for the advice, that helps a bunch. So is it $500 per device or to set all your devices up?

Once they did that though it was pretty straight forward setting up the PEPVPN, just like on other networks?

Mine is for the Air Force so I will try to get that fee waved as well… Thank you very very much for the advice, I will post back if I run into any issues.

Thanks
Dusty

Dusty,

From what I was told, it was a one time fee period. 1 device or a thousand, $500 to set up the static IP feature. Waived for goverment accounts.

Yeah, PepVPN only has a handful of entries to change. Encryption, site name, password, IP address, etc. So easy, a caveman could do it or even this old Marine.

Make sure there data plan is unlimited, regardless of how little data you think you might use each month and that the plan is back dated to the beginning og the billing cycle. Just had to get a $300 bill credited back for two weeks of use because they did change the plan correctly.

Where are you located?

Goetzrc76-

I’m in Austin TX and deploying the Pepwaves as a backup solution to a system being deployed to Hickam AFB at the end of Oct. My integration time has been short to say the least but I’ve developed an enclosure using a pelican case and all the necessary IP67 plugs to make the device nice and cozy during the 1 year test.

On the data plan, thanks that’s good advice on the unlimited plan. I have to walk the Prime through getting the account setup so those little tidbits are hugely helpful. If you don’t mind me asking what the unlimited data plan for your 5 devices is running you a month?

Thanks again for all the advice, my pucker factor is dropping as I type.
Dusty

Based on my research on the PepVPN, it seems that only one side of the PepVPN needs to be static.

I was able to successfully connect two Sprint-connected BR1s via PepVPN with only a Static IP on one side.

However, when I try to do PepVPN with a Verizon BR1 (non-static IP) and connect to a Sprint BR1 (static IP). I was not successful.

Does anyone have the same experience? Please help!

Thanks in advance.

@kenichiwa, in fact public IP (ensure the public IP shows on cellular WAN interface) is needed at one side.

If you have static public IP at one side, then should not an issue. If you have dynamic public IP at one side (e.g. site A), then you need to enable the DDNS at the BR1 that holds the dynamic public IP. Then you need to point the DDNS hostname at the other site (e.g. site B) to establish the PepVPN tunnel.

1 Like

Thank you @TK_Liew!

I will take a stab at this this week.

Grrr… I think there is something with the Verizon network that is limiting this.

Can you help? Would you be able to provide some guidance on this or on how I can reach out to my Verizon contacts?

Anyone else have problems over Verizon?

FWIW: We have both static and carrier NAT SIM cards with Verizon, and for both kinds setting up a pepVPN/Speedfusion connection to another Peplink device with a static IP address works well.

2 Likes