Pepvpn on surf soho

Hi all. Trying to connect two sites using PepVPN, with both running pepwave surf soho devices.

Have two issues requesting help on.

1. the main office internet access crawls to a stop when the pepwave soho device is plugged in. Suspect this may be fixed if the PepVPN is configured correctly.

2. PepVPN not working… The dashboard indicator shows the PepVPN status as “starting…” With no change to connection.

both devices are similar:
Firmware: 7.1.0 build 1284
PepVPN version: 7.0.0
Hardware revision: 1

PepVPN profile of Main office:
name: MAIN_OFFICE
active: checked
Encryption: 256-bit AES
remote ID: BRANCH_OFFICE
remote KEY: ***
NAT mode: unchecked
remote IP: WAN IP of branch office
cost: 10
data port: custom X
bandwidth limit: unchecked
receive buffer: 0 ms

PepVPN profile of Branch office:
name: BRANCH_OFFICE
active: checked
Encryption: 256-bit AES
remote ID: MAIN_OFFICE
remote KEY: ***
NAT mode: unchecked
remote IP: WAN IP of main office
cost: 10
data port: custom X
bandwidth limit: unchecked
receive buffer: 0 ms

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi @yute,

What are the LAN IP addresses / networks on both devices? Ideally, these should be different, otherwise the status will show as “Starting…” and won’t connect. However, if for some reason both need to have the same IP ranges, then you can use the Virtual Network Mapping feature, available form 7.1.0 - you would only need to apply this to one of the Surf SOHO devices.

For information about the Virtual Network Mapping feature, here is a > Link <

Hope this helps,

Steve

1 Like

@Steve.Taylor,

Thanks for the suggestion. The LAN addresses are different. 192.168.11.x for the branch office, and 192.168.6.x for the main office.

Remove the WAN IP of the Branch office from the profile on the MAIN_OFFICE SOHO.

What type of WAN IP is shown on the dashboard UI on the main office SOHO? Is it a public IP or a private IP?
I suspect you have an ISP router in the way and that you will have to open ports on that to allow the branch office to connect to the Main Office SOHO.

2 Likes

@MartinLangmaid,

Thank you for responding. So to restate, you’re saying that the MAIN_OFFICE soho needs to be bridged to the modem? That it can’t exist inside the lan with port forwarding?

I will have to wait to try tonight and get back to the forum with result.

Could someone help me with a troubleshooting technique I could use to see at what point in the process is the connection failing? The pepvpn log doesn’t say, as it doesn’t complete. What kind of info could I capture and look out for at the modem level on both sides?

Nope. I’m saying its easiest if its bridged otherwise your need to forward the PepVPN ports TCP 32015 and UDP 4500 on your ISP router to the SOHO

At this early stage of the PepVPN process failing the only thing you can do is check network captures of WAN port traffic line by line to see why the tunnel isn’t being built.

Its seems likely that’s related to traffic not hitting the SOHO due to 3rd party NAT/firewall.

This made the difference. Thank you!