Peplink UBR & Tmobile sim

I have been using a Tmobile 50gb sim for the past 6 months in my UBR without issue. Recently (not sure how long but roughly a couple weeks) all day long Tmobile disconnects for 10 seconds or so then reconnects. This happens every 30 min or so and is not failing a health check. Here is a sreen shot.

Not sure what has changed if anything. Any ideas where to start?
Thank you.

I have a Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G with T-Mobile and ATT.

I have the same problem as you with T-Mobile. Worked great all last year. T-Mobile will show connected, with an IP address. But will and will not fail the WAN health check. (I’ve seen it do both). When I ping 8.8.8.8 across T-Mobile, it’s 50/50 on whether I get RTO or a response. I can’t move any significant amount of data across T-Mobile.

The ATT Sim I have works great. I’ve replaced the T-Mobile SIM card per T-Mobiles recommendation. No change. I’ve swapped SIM card slots between ATT and T-Mobile. No change in behavior. ATT always works, T-mobile doesn’t. And it used to all work great.

Thank you for the reply. I have not called Tmobile yet as it hasn’t been a top priority for me. Tmobile is my Starlink backup but if they both happen to go down at the same time I’m going to drop calls which is a problem. I did reboot and looked at my settings but nothing is new as far as I can tell.

We have seen some of that behavior with TMO as well – but not consistently. In one case a cellular module firmware update appears to ahve solved the problem. Have you tried that? (If you don’t know how to do that post a note and one of can tell you how do do it.)

• Rick

I have recently done a firmware update on the UBR but not sure if that’s the same as updating the cellular module. Just checked the log and its still consistently dropping Tmobile every 20 to 30 minutes for 10 seconds or so.

I’ve gone back to the 8.1 version code that came with my MAX BR1 Pro 5g. Then upgraded to 8.2.1, then back to 8.3.0. And Peplink support has upgraded me to their latest code (newer build than what’s offered on their download section). None changed behavior of T-Mobile. It connects, gets an IP address. Looks connected. But going to System->tools->ping and it’ll fail. 100% packet loss.

If I leave it connected for a period of time. It’ll eventually move some data, for a short period of time. Connectivity that moves data is very much inconsistent, and infrequent, making it unusable.

I switch back to my ATT SIM card, and it’s rock solid functionality.

I took my T-Mobile SIM card over to a friend last night. He just bought a MAX BR1 Pro 5G, and is using it with T-Mobile only. It works for him. I had him take out his TMO SIM card and put in mine. My T-Mobile SIM card worked in his router without any issues. Booted up, connected, passed data immediately. Pings all responded. No issues at all with my TMO sim in his router. I put it back in my router, and I get connected but can’t pass any data reliably.

How does one perform a cellular module firmware update on a MAX BR1 Pro 5g?

First, make certain your router’s firmware is up to date. Take a look at this Forum article. You want to run the exact FW mentioned by @WeiMing. For a BR1 Pro 5G its 8.3.0s052, build 5265.

Then, go to the “semi-hidden” support page. Change the URL you are using to see your router’s GUI to something like this (assuming you have not changed the default address for the router): https://192.168.50.1:/cgi-bin/MANGA/support.cgi . Then scroll down until you see this:

Then check for the update. If an update is needed the router will handle it automatically from that point. Be patient – it takes a while.

Does this work on the UBR I’m not having any success seeing the semi hidden page?

Thank you! I found the hidden screen. My cell module firmware is already at the latest version available.

I’ve also been working with support on my issue for the past 2 days.
Turned off 5g band n41 for T-mobile restored my connectivity on T-mobile.
I’m now connected via T-mobile on band n71 and it’s working reliably.

So it sounds like band 5g band N41 with T-mobile is dysfunctional.

Hi @Scott_F. The general procedure will definitely work with any router which contains a cellular modem (which includes the various versions of the UBR of course.) What may change is the address at which you see your GUI. Try this: Just change the address to end with /MANGA/support.cgi in lieu of index.cgi/…

@Martin_Nethkin2431: Glad you’re operational. But over time you will want to use B41 when it is available . TMO has a lot of spectrum there and, ceteris paribus, it’s “faster” than B71 – assuming you have good signal metrics.

Make certain you are using the “s” version of the firmware as per @WeiMing 's advice. You do not say “whose” support is involved . If you have a ticket open with Peplink (ticket.peplinlk.com) I’ll defer to them :<) .

I spent 2 days working with T-mobile support. They found nothing wrong.
I’ve now spent 2 days working with Peplink support.
Previously, I was on 8.3.0 build 5229, which was the latest I saw available to me.
They (Peplink support) upgraded me to 8.3.0s083 build 5271.

Cell module firmware:
Current:03.09.11.00(AT&T,VERIZON),03.10.07.00(GENERIC,T-MOBILE)
Latest:03.09.11.00(AT&T,VERIZON),03.10.07.00(GENERIC,T-MOBILE)

It’s possible that Peplink support already upgraded my cell module firmware. I don’t know that they did or that they did not.

1 Like

Thanks for the help unfortunately my modem was up to date so no update needed. Still not working may stop by tmobile to see what they say. Maybe a new sim card? Just hoping I guess.