Peplink surf soho setup help

Hello and thank you in advance for your assistance.

I have recently had an issue with an uninvited person remote into my laptop, access online accounts and gain access to my phone.

In response to this I took my laptop back to factory settings, bought a new phone and switched carriers. I have also bought a new century link modem and a pepwave surf soho router. I fully admit that I am not terribly tech savvy, but am trying to increase my knowledge real fast.

I have WiFi disabled on my centurylink zyxel pk5001z modem. I ran 1 Ethernet cable from it to my pep wave surf soho mk3 router. I will be getting a vpn service installed on my laptop, ipad and phone. Hope this is a good plan

As I stated, I am no IT person and not as knowledgeable as I need to be. I am looking for help in setting up my firewall and other settings to prevent further intrusion. The problem is that I don’t know enough to do this myself. If anyone could help me with setting the firewall rules and other settings, I would greatly appreciate it.
TIA
MIKE

If it helps, I cannot get rid of wireless entirely. My monitored security system uses WiFi. I can use either WiFi or Ethernet to my windows based laptop. If data usage on my phone (iPhone) or ipad gets high, I may utilize some WiFi with them, but I usually don’t. I also have a fire stick that connects through WiFi. I could run Ethernet to it, but being as I have to use WiFi for my security system, I don’t see that I am gaining anything there. Maybe I am wrong on that though.

Hello Mike H.,

You are not alone in not being an IT expert. I found the Surf SOHO installation configuration guide by router security expert Michael Horowitz to be very helpful. He explains what items to set or change and why. I think his overview should be a sticky on the Pepwave forum.

Hope this helps you and other Surf SOHO users.

1 Like

Hello Jorg32

Thank you for the link. I will read it now. I