Peplink - supply chain and company security policy

Hi,
From a security aspect, my company asked me to check before purchase some things:

1. Where are the components made?
  2. Is the supply chain / OEM strictly in the USA?
  3. Are the systems/components imported from outside the US?
  4. What is Peplink doing in terms of secure supply chain management and due diligence/auditing of their hardware imported from abroad?
  5. Where is the Peplink’s headquarters? this is American company?

Any help would be most appreciated!
Thanks,
moses

Hi. Seeing you have not received an answer for as couple of hours and I’m between projects ( ;<) ), let me try to answer. I’m a Peplink Certified Engineer and Peplink Partner but I cannot speak for Peplink. So, I’ll invite an “official” response from the Company.

1. Various countries, including the PRC, Malaysia and the ROC. No doubt others. A complete list of manufacturing locations would have to be provided by the Company.
  2. Definitely not. However, the company has a strong and competent presence in the USA.
  3. Generally, yes.
  4. I cannot answer this good question – let’s hear from the nice folks at Peplink.
  5. Plover Bay Technologies Limited is headquartered in Hong Kong, PRC, is incorporated in the Cayman Islands, and trades on the Hong Kong stock market under the symbol 1523.HK. You may find more information here.
1 Like

Thanks Rick!
I’m still waiting for official response.

Hi Moses,

This is Alex Chan. I am the Founder and CEO of Peplink. :slight_smile:

1. The majority of SoC and chipsets are coming from Qualcomm, Intel and MediaTek. Many of today’s tech magic is coming from the chipsets. Peplink’s strength is we relentless improve our products by fixing bugs, doing improvements on reliability, performance, stabiity and usability. Hence it’s important for us to stay with key semiconductor manufacturers.

2. The supply chain is mostly coming from Taiwan. We work very closely with some of the largest global electronic manufacturers originated from Taiwan. But their factories could be in Taiwan, Vietnam and other countries.

3. Yes, generally the components are imported from outside the US. Let’s use our flagship product MBX as an example, it is based on Intel X86 CPU. The Wi-Fi chipsets are all coming from Qualcomm. The cellular modules are coming from whatever best in the market for that segment but they are all based on Qualcomm chipsets (X55 → X62/X65 → future X72/X75). It is manufactured in Taiwan by a global leading electronics manufacturer. If needed, we can ask them to build the product in their other plants in Vietnam, Malaysia or even Mexico as they have multiple manufacturing sites around the world.

4. We have our products certified by operators and industry bodies to meet with various vertical market requirements. Our manufacturing partners are world class players and we work closely together to secure our supply chain management / due diligence / auditing the hardware. As our partners/customers has witnessed, during the COVID days and over years, Peplink has maintained a pretty good supply chain during the various supply chain challenges in our history.

5. Peplink is very flat organization. We are small (~200 people). The founding team members are still staying with the company and doing very hands-on stuff on a day-to-day basis. Many of our team members has been with the company for a pretty long time if not from day one.

This core team members are spread around the world in many locations including Taiwan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Hong Kong, Lithuania, UK and Canada. We are public listed at the HK stock exchange. The company is incorporated in Cayman Islands and our stock code is 1523.HK (Plover Bay Technologies). Our financials are solid and transparent. The majority shareholders of the company is myself, the founding team, employees via the ESOP (employee stock option plans) and some small cap technology funds from USA and Europe.

Fundamentally, we are in the modem business. We make connectivity reliable, accessible, affordable, easy-to-use with a long term support mentality. Many of our customers pair our products with their preferred security vendors/solutions. We work with global leading electronic manufacturers with multiple manufacturing plants around the world. We are also very open minded in exploring partnerships to meet with various industry requirements.

I hope this helps to understand Peplink better. If you have any further questions, please PM me.

Thanks,
Alex

14 Likes