Peplink Router Utility Router Unreacheable and SSL certificate invalid

Hello guys,
I would like some help with the Peplink Router Utility. I have several routers configured in the app that were working fine until Monday 11/18/19. The issue is that now I only see Router Unreachable message and when I try to access the router it says "The SSL certificate is invalid or expired, please update the certificate and try again". I also updated the SSL certificate in one of our routers and it also doesn’t work. A weird thing is that I swapped a router yesterday and updated it to firmware 8.0.1 and it is the only one that shows up correctly in the app.

I don’t know the answer to your question, but the 8.0.1 firmware did include a new default cert for the device. The 8.0.0 firmware included a comodo cert I believe that was valid until around now only – mid November 2019. The 8.0.1 firmware includes a new cert that is valid into the future.

Yup. Cert has expired. Only way to change that easily is by upgrading firmware I think.

1 Like

Hello,

All of my PepLink Balance Routers are at their highest firmware (6.3.4) supported by the hardware platform. Because of this I cannot update to a later firmware that includes the updated root CA. Is there anyway to manually replace the root certificate?

Under ‘Network - Misc. Settings - Certificate Manager’ you can manually replace the certificates with your own.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you, I do see where I can use my own certificate, but isn’t it the Public Root CA certificate from Comodo that needs to be updated. To my understanding, this does get updated if I had the ability to upgrade my firmware to 8.0.1. If I replace my own certificate the Public Root CA still won’t be updated on the Peplink. Just want to clarify if that is the case. I remember having to update operating systems with new Root and Intermediate Provider Public CA certs on older systems.

Thank you…

In case of old hardware that did not receive the newest firmware anymore (due to hardware limits, newer features are not possible), then the only solution is to create your own self signed certificate.

1 Like

Hi, you can try
“Settings” in the iOS device > Find “Router Utility” > Enable “Compatibility Mode”
It will bypass the cert checking when connecting to the router.
For security reason, please turn off the “Compatibility Mode” after using.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you the Compatibility Mode on the IOS router utility did work.
I did find out today that the Root Public CA Certificate was still valid on the PepLink & only the local certificate was expired.
I registered a new certificate for the PepLink and was able to open that site with a valid certificate.

Thank you for your help…

2 Likes

Recently updated/configured SURF SOHO MK2 (firmware v8.2.1) for OpenVPN and was baffled by the same error messages using the latest Router Utility App (v2.2.0) on my iPhone 11 (iOS v15.5). Just wanted to confirm that enabling “Compatibility Mode” in iPhone App Settings solved the issue after numerous attempts to fix with other settings. Interesting that older versions of the Router Utility and router firmware worked fine. And, setting “Compatibility Mode” was last ditch effort since firmware and RU app were most recent versions. Hope this helps.

As discussed in other recent threads, the issue is that the certificates on older versions of firmware have expired and Peplink has not issued maintenance releases when they were necessary as promised. This issue only applies to older hardware for which the FW versions have been frozen – like yours and the older Balance 20s, for example. Your version of RU is probably fine and generally works extremely well. And, “compatibility mode” is not a good option here.