Peplink outbound policy

Hello, I am new to peplink. Previously had an Edgerouter with two WAN connections but this device couldn’t handle latency so it would only switch to the backup connection if WAN1 failed completely. I bought the peplink B-ONE in order to have WAN1 as primary and WAN2 only as backup. I need the device to be checking constantly the latency and the link to see if there are any issues with the circuit. So my configuration is as follows: WAN1 as priority 1 and WAN2 as priority 2. Then I configured under “advanced”, “outbound policy”, I added two rules. At the very top one called “Low Latency” which I configured source/destination as “any”, algorithm as “Lowest Latency” and under connection I checked WAN1 and WAN2. The other rule is called “Fastest Response Time”, source/destination set up as “any” and Algorithm as “Fastest Response Time”. Then I have checked WAN1 and WAN2. I am not sure if this will do what I explained at the beginning or if I am missing anything. I’ll appreciate some insight.

Thanks in advance.

I think you have taken the right approach. In particular, while the “fastest response time” algorithm is not particularly efficient in its initial use of data we have found it does exactly what it purports to do. Are you saying it is not working?

Hello Rick, thank you for your reply. I am not sure if it is working or not. Set up is complete but I can simulate latency in one of the circuits. I think there is no way to test. The only way to test is if I kill one of the WAN circuits completely.

Thanks

Hi. How about loading one of the WANs and then testing. One way to test this would be to set outbound policy for one client to “enforce” and then do a speed test. Then watch what happens with WAN Analysis or via Status → SpeedFusion VPN as other network activities take place. One can also see what sessions are using the WANs at Status → Active Sessions. Our experience is that “fastest response time” works “as advertised” (and we thank Peplink’s engineers for their initiative on this.)