Peplink Firewall

Hi All,

The Peplink 580 has a built-in FW which will allow me to block website address. If I enter a website address to be blocked, when a user tries to navigate to that page, the page does not load. Is there any function to add a “blocked” redirect page when someone tries to navigate to a block URL, rather than the page just not loading?

Many thanks

Ummm this is something to think about. I could imagine the immediate request that comes after this is to customise the “blocked” page and this could go much elaborated than it sounds so we will need to carefully examine the set of features needed for this request.

Thoughts, anyone?

What about a redirect with the blocked URL specified as a variable in the new URL? This way one can create and upload a custom page on your website or intranet, informing a person of the blocked page.

Not bad. It gives some freedom, without going too far in this direction.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your thoughts on this - do you have any more info on whether it might be a possible feature request?

Thanks,
Will

Hi Will,

Our development log is quite full right now, but we may take a look at this down the road.

In the meantime, you could just create your own redirect page and manipulate the Local DNS records on the Peplink. This is located under the DNS Proxy Settings of the LAN setup page.

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply. Can you give me a few more details on how to do that please? At the moment, if I block a specific web domain, the page just sits there trying to load before timing out. I have now enabled the local DNS and added an entry to block a specific website and entered an IP address for it to forward to. Nothing has changed however and the page still just sits there trying to load.

Thanks,
Will

Hi Will,

Technically, you are not “blocking” a website via the local DNS records, but rather re-directing it. The firewall rules will trump this, so you need to remove that firewall rule first.

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim

I have been trying to get this to work, but I don’t think it will work for us. We host our own DNS servers on our network. If I enable the DNS Proxy service on the Balance 580 as you mentioned, and enter a host name “facebook.com” with an IP address of one of our local webservers (pointing to a cusom block page), it doesn’t work. Facebook is still accessible. I’m I doing something wrong?

Many thanks
Will

It would suffice to have an option like our friend commented that redirects the client to a specific page (created by the client) and Peplink block any request to dns on the network, any site that the client tries to access immediately fall on the page lock.

Because as soon as the client handles like your page and just insert the link to it. And also not generate any load within the Peplink for storing custom images or css styles unnecessary.