Peplink eSIM Activation Before Device Configuration

Is it possible to have a Peplink purchased eSIM data plan with SFC activate on a device before it is connected to an alternative WAN or cellular connection?

It would be ideal for us to be able to use the Peplink eSIM and have it connect fresh out of the box without needing an active internet connection. From there, we could go ahead and configure the device with other settings.

1 Like

@Robert_Hinckley Yes, it is possible. You just need to subscribe to the Peplink eSIM Data Plan and cellular data connection will be available out of the box for your configuration via InControl. :wink:

For your reference, you can find information on the Peplink eSIM Data Plan here.

2 Likes

I confirm, this works like a charm :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for their responses!

So I did purchase a Peplink eSIM plan for the device before asking this question, but the device was listed as being offline on InControl.

At what point does the device register with the network with the eSIM and get activated?

@Robert_Hinckley I think first we need to check whether the device is running 8.4.1. If yes, the Peplink eSIM data plan is set with the priority under SIM selection to be first used.

Not sure your firmware version running. If the device is already running 8.4.1, then please submit a ticket for us to take a deeper look. Otherwise, I would expect that to work when it boots.

1 Like

Awesome, I will take a look and confirm the firmware version shortly!

What is the recommended way for me to ensure that no eSIM data for the Peplink eSIM can be used by client devices? When the primary SIM card network doesn’t work, I’d like it to fail over to eSIM and maintain a connection for diagnosis and modification through InControl.

@Eddy_Yeung It looks like the modem is running firmware version 8.4.0s064 build 5425. Is this a beta build?

The device is the B One 5G and it is straight from the factory.

The firmware comes with should be fine. However, you can load the latest 8.4.1 for sure.