Peplink configuration on 2 private networks (point-2-point)

Hi All,

I’m New in Peplink and also in Networking,

May I ask for the best configuration that fits to my network requirement

"I have 2 Site-to-site connection each has a private IP 192.168.xx.xx for Site A

192.168.xx.xx for Site B.

I want to connect my 2 IPLC lines to Peplink to have it Load Balanced and for Fail over puposes

My Peplink is configured in Drop=-in mode on WAN1,

is there any possibility that I can Load balance my two private networks with peplink??

I would like to ask how will I configure it and what is the best algorithm to use in balancing

Thanks and regards,
Eugene

Hi Eugene,

It sounds like you have (or should have) SpeedFusion for this deployment. Our proprietary VPN was called “Site-to-Site VPN” in earlier versions of firmware. With a Peplink at each location you can use both WAN connections for SpeedFusion. This can be done with a drop-in mode deployment and you will have the following advantages:

1. Session persistence. SpeedFusion allows you to build an “unbreakable VPN” with more than one WAN link on each side. Packets for a single session can be sent down all available WAN links. If a WAN connection is lost, the VPN stays up which means sessions do not have to be re-established. This is superior over traditional fail over methods.

2. With similar WAN links you have the ability to “bond” your internet connections together to increase bandwidth. This works well to provide a big pipe for remote locations.

The best algorithm to use for load balancing internet traffic will depend on your environment and requirement needs. Peplink offers seven different algorithms for fine tuning outbound traffic. The default algorithm does latency checking to determine how to route outbound traffic.

1 Like

Hi Ron,

I really appreciate your response on my posts.

and gives me additional knowledge on how peplink works, but it seems my query doesn’t fall to the solution above.

I’ll try to be give more details so you can help me further

" We have 2 existing Internet connections which Peplink bonds the connection within our LAN.
Peplink device is our gateway and configured in Drop-in mode because We have an existing firewall under Peplink

Our current set up for now is that we have 1 IPLC connection to another country. and this connection is not attached to peplink, it is directly connected to the firewall and is configured in a private IP network

Thus, our plan is to have another IPLC connection with new source IP network and different destination IP network.

My question is, is it possible to change our network set up and put our 2 IPLC connections to PEPLINK so that It can also benefit on the features of PEPLINK?

Where we can set the source IP to route to the designated destination network of the dedicated IPLC connection ? (on both IPLC connections)
Where is it possible to make a fail-over configuration where the 2 IPLC connections, load balance each other? (Taking to the consideration of the private IP network set-up)

and Lastly? can it load balance data connection? on each source and destination networks?

I’m looking forward for your assistance with regards to this matter.

Thank you very much

regards,
Eugene

Hi Eugene,

If you can provide high level network diagram will be great. Anyway based on my understanding, you plan to have physical connections below. Do correct me if I am wrong.

Peplink Ports:-
LAN <–> Firewall
WAN1 (Drop-in) <–> Internet
WAN2 <–> Internet
WAN3 <–> IPLC1 <–> Branch A
WAN4 <–> IPLC2 <–> Branch A

If My assumption is correct, below is my answer (Assume remote branch A also has proper routing back to HQ):-

1. Is it possible to change our network set up and put our 2 IPLC connections to PEPLINK so that It can also benefit on the features of PEPLINK?
    Yes

2. Where we can set the source IP to route to the designated destination network of the dedicated IPLC connection?
    Outbound Policy provided Firewall perform NAT for the appropriate IP addresses.

3. Where is it possible to make a fail-over configuration where the 2 IPLC connections, load balance each other? (Taking to the consideration of the private IP network set-up)
    Using Weighted Balance in Outbound Policy

4. Can it load balance data connection? on each source and destination networks?
    Believe you are referring to services like Ftp, Smtp and etc. Yes. By using Outbound Policy.

Hope this help.[/quote]

1 Like

Hi TK Liew,

It seems that all my queries have been answered.

but I’m still confused with the weighted balance, I just want to configure fail-over with the two IPLC connections.

if I configure IPLC 1&2 weighted traffic to 10 and the other WAN Links to 0? does it mean that the 2 WAN won’t take the fail-over of the two IPLC connections?

The settings are as below:

1. IPLC 1 will route certain traffics from selected source IP addresses, e.g. 192.x.x.x/24 and/or destination IPs
  2. IPLC 2 same as IPLC 1 but with different set of source/destination IPs
  3. Each IPLC line should failover of the other one. E.g. if IPLC 1 is down, IPLC 2 will take over.

Is it possible to fail over 2 different source/destination IPs?

For the network diagram, I’m really sorry but I can’t provide it for now.

If you can give me screenshots on what configurations will I try.

It would be great and really appreciate your reply.

Thanks and regards,
Eugene

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the additional info.

Your question:-
The settings are as below:

1. IPLC 1 will route certain traffics from selected source IP addresses, e.g. 192.x.x.x/24 and/or destination IPs
  2. IPLC 2 same as IPLC 1 but with different set of source/destination IPs
  3. Each IPLC line should failover of the other one. E.g. if IPLC 1 is down, IPLC 2 will take over.

Is it possible to fail over 2 different source/destination IPs?
Yes, you can use Priority in Outbound Policy. Please find the screenshot below:-

1 Like

Hi TK Liew,

I’m very thankful for your reply and for the screenshots you have provided.

So I will not be using Weighted Balance Algorithm instead I’ll use the Priority Algorithm :slight_smile:

I will be testing this configuration and I believe this will be the best configuration.

I’m looking forward to thank you personally. :slight_smile:

@Ron > Thank you also for your response and for the information you had given.

Thank you very much and best regards,
Eugene

Hi Eugene,

You are welcome. :slight_smile:

Do let me know if you still facing problem.

1 Like