Peplink Balance One - 600Mbps Throughput?

Hello,

I currently have a ‘Peplink Balance One’ the device is rated for 600Mbps throughput however I get 500Mbps from download from Virgin Media.

However for some reason I appear to be only getting between 260Mbps and 303Mbps download?

Is this normal or am I missing something?

I’ve tested my line speed on the same device connected in the same way to a pfSense box and I get over 500Mbps.

Thanks

Hi Simon, Is MTU set to auto on your Balance One WAN connection settings?

1 Like

Hello,

It’s set to 1440 I believe this was at the request of one the Virgin Media Business installers.

Should it be set to auto?

Thanks

Hello,

I just change it to auto and it set to 1462 but still only managed 311Mbps.

Thanks

Hmm ok. and what firmware version is showing under the status page? Are you running v8.0.2?
If you got to the support page:

http(s)://Your-Device-IP/cgi-bin/MANGA/support.cgi

and click to expand the ‘LAN/WAN Ethernet details’ section can you see anything weird there? Any Collisions or errors?

Looks a bit like this:

1 Like

Nope all looks fine showing 0 errors and 0 collision too.

It’s very odd how I can’t get close to the speeds yet my pfSense box is getting over 500.

Fair enough if it was over 600 I’d expect I hit the limit and I could understand it but to be only getting 50% seems quite odd in my eyes.

Yeah. the ‘half’ element of this is suspicious. I don’t have a fiber link here faster than 350Mbps to test with. Lets ask @sitloongs or @TK_Liew for their assistance here …

2 Likes

@Simon_Hodgkiss, are you using the same PC to do throughput test when you test with Balance One and pfSense?

Can you share the connection method of your WAN (e.g. static, DHCP, PPPoE, and others)?

2 Likes

Hello @TK_Liew ,

Exactly same device doing the tests.

My connect is static on both Peplink & pfSense.

Do allow me to ask the last questions. May I know the Balance One has 5 WANs license activated? Can you share the LAN port settings (Network > Port Settings) of the Balance One?

1 Like

I know this shows up as 2 lines I’ve just kept my config the same however I’m only using 1 for this test I’ve moved the other to the pfSense.

1 Like

@Simon_Hodgkiss … Hi. Just a note … @TK_Liew is asking you if the 5 WAN license has been applied as that reduces throughput. He’ll need to know that.

The screenshot shows I don’t have the license applied.

Thanks

1 Like

@Simon_Hodgkiss thanks for the info. Can you connect your laptop directly to LAN port 2 to confirm any different there? Please take note of your laptop’s CPU load when you do the speed test. I come across a case that CPU of laptop reached 100% when doing the speed test. So, the throughput can’t go higher 300Mbps.

1 Like

@TK_Liew Thanks for your help. However I’m not sure that CPU is going to be causing the problem since I’m running a Mac Pro 2013 - 12 core 2.7Ghz - with 64GB ram.

However that been said I’m happy to try this test. But I’m away for next few days.

If you could give me some more tips around this that would be helpful since I’m pretty sure that my CPU can certainly handle the line speed.

@Simon_Hodgkiss, please test with Linux OS if possible. It has consistent throughput based on our testing. We couldn’t get a good throughput with MAC OS and Windows OS here.

1 Like

Hello,
I have been using peplink one for many years. I state that the maximum speed is ~250-300Mbps under the best conditions. Ticket #760049

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback that would make sense. Since under the same conditions I get around that. But when I use the same device on a pfsense I get over 500.

1 Like

Hi Simon,
Did you receive any resolution for your lower speeds?

I just set up a Balance One last week and am experiencing the same challenge – am on xfinity 600Mbps plan, speedtest directly from modem gives 500Mbps; going thru router then lowers it to 250-300Mbps (just as Alexey said).

My ethernet details also showed no collisions or errors, and whether on Auto or customized MTU setting makes no difference.

Wondered about Windows 10 tweaks, but can’t imagine that would make up 2-300Mbps.

Hello Brian,

I gave up because clearly it seems the device is advertised incorrectly or something because no matter what settings I do it doesn’t come close to the 500Mbps that I get from my ISP.

I’m in the process of removing the Peplink from my network and moving to pfSense as I can get well over 500Mbps on the same line using that.

I don’t understand it at all it doesn’t make any sense to me there has to be some cap or some limits other than the 600 on the Peplink.

Thanks.