I am thinking of purchasing a Peplink 20 or Cisco - RV042G
We have 6 users and rely heavily on internet and phones. We have:
a) 2 Wan lines line 1)Wan 1: Cable 80 MB download 30 MB Down 2) Wan 2: DSL 15 MB down 1.3 UP
b) 6 Users - PC’s
c) 1 Lan file server - no nas.
d) 4 VOIP T/A’s - each capable of 2 discrete phone lines
e) Entire office wired for Cat 5E
Here is what I am trying to accomplish:
- I would like to protocol bind 7 VOIP lines to Wan 2 but if Wan 2 fails, I would like them routed to Wan 1.
- Also I want 7 VOIP lines to have QOS priority on Wan 2, but if Wan 2 fails, I want the 7 lines to go to Wan 1 and have QOS priority on Wan 1
- I want to drive all other traffic to Wan 1 with QOS priority for Skype. However if Wan 1 fails for all traffic to go to Wan 2 with Top priority a) Voip b) Skype c) Other traffic
- Occasional VPN use,
Here’s how we do it now…we use 2 Routers…and do a manual switch…both routers have QOS for first VOIP, second Skype machine, third others…we have been using QOS based on priority and IP address.
- Is Peplink 20 able to do what I am trying to accomplish?
- If I purchase it, how would I go about it?..what settings, how load balance strategy do you recommend for deployment…I would like to use the simulator on your site to test it…I hate to buy and return.
- I am concerned about the overall bandwidth 80+30 + 15 + 1.5 But the Cable is sometimes at 80 and sometimes at 50 so Total Available Bandwidth varies between 126 MB to 90 MB. I do not what happens when bandwidth goes beyond, is it just limited or is the VOIP packet loss a concern?
- If Wan 2 goes down, how quickly would my VOIP lines switch to Wan 1? and then how quickly after Wan 2 restoration will it go back to Wan 2.
- Does Peplink 30 sense bandwidth and adjust to the cable up/down or is that a manual entry? If manual entry then does Peplink throttle bandwidth at the numbers or does it just use that as a reference for load balancing?
- If you can compare with Cisco RV042G any hard comparison would be appreciated even though I am leaning towards Peplink 20.
- I run my small office, but affiliated with 65 similar offices between 3 & 10 users. Many other offices have followed our lead on technology adoption. So your guidance and steering us would be greatly valued.