Peplink 305 + Sophos UTM 220 + Patton 5200

Hi there

We are new to the Peplink world but we’re excited to be part of it. We’re moving to new offices shortly and we’re moving to having two WANs, a 20/20 fiber connection (WAN1) and a 9/9 bonded T1 circuit (WAN2).

Right now our plan is to make the Peplink 305 the device that receives both WAN connections, then take the LAN feed into the Sophos. From the Sophos we want to carve out all the SIP/RTP traffic and feed it into the Patton and then into our 3CX PBX. Not sure if that’s too many devices or not.

We’d like to use the fiber connection (WAN1) as our main website & VoIP connection with the T1s (WAN2) being for internal web traffic (inbound/outbound), Win updates, and failover in case WAN1 goes down.

The other thing I’d like to do is to carve out some portion of the fiber just for our VoIP traffic, not sure if this is possible.

I’m also not sure if the device order is the right way around, with Peplink the receiver of the external traffic, but frankly I couldn’t see load balancing working better the other way.

Any thoughts and ideas would be very welcomed.

Hi,

Below is my understanding from your statements. Do correct me if I am wrong.

WAN1 for:-

• User internet traffics.
  • Allocate certain bandwidth for Voip traffics.

WAN2 for:-

• Voip traffics.
  • Internal server traffics from server farm or DMZ.
  • Windows update for servers
  • Backup for WAN1

Do you have voice vlan in your network? Or your data and voice traffics will having different subnet?

Please provide high level network diagram if you don’t mind.

Thank you.

WAN1 is for web traffic generated from our servers behind the firewall and aimed at customers. WAN2 is for internal web traffic generated by employees’ PCs and laptops. We currently do not have any VLANs as we make extensive use of softphones and they share their ethernet connection with the PC.

Hi,

Thanks for your correction. Your requirements can be achieve if assumption below is correct:-

1. Server and user having different Vlan. We can distribute the load by source subnet to different WANs. Of course failover can be achieve.

2. If your LAN environment is flat network, we can distribute the load by source IP and subnet to different WANs. Of course failover can be achieve.

3. Voip traffics having unique protocol. We can distribute the load by protocol to different WANs based on defined Weight.

4. You also can prioritization the Voip traffics.

Hope this help.