Outbound Rule based on Domain, Mime-Type (or file extension)

Hi,

Just got a peplink balance 30 and really loving it so far, just some minor changes would make it the ultimate box.

I’m actually using it with 2 WANs:

1. ADSL connection (2Mb/512Kb, 40ms ping)
  2. Satellite Connection (10Mb/2Mb, 900ms ping)

Ideally, I would love to use the satellite for heavier files like youtube videos (mp4), downloads, … but keeping the ADSL as priority for the other files, javascripts, AJAX requests, page content, images, stylesheets, …

Is there anyway and would that make sense to include some more options in the outbound rules, so we could scope per :

1. Domain
  2. Mime-Type (might be tricky if even possible, needs to get the header for that, file extension feels proper enough I guess)
  3. File size (header required as well I think)

Hoping to get some feedback on this topic,
Thank a lot for your great product,
Best regards,

• Sébastien Grosjean - ZenCocoon

Glad to know that your are enjoying your Peplink, Sebastien.

I see where you are coming from - to take full advantage of your low-latency-but-low-bandwidth ADSL and your high-bandwidth-but-high-latency Satellite. But the challenge is that these different page contents are from the same web page hence downloading on the same session. By session-based load balancing they will come in on the same WAN.

Our SpeedFusion bonding technology is invented to overcome this session limit. But it requires a Peplink device at each end of the transfer.

I will mark down a feature request for you. We will take a closer look at this. Thanks.

Hi Kurt,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Good point, sessions could be an issue if based on Mime-Type, needs further research for that.

I believe “domain” based rules would work perfectly fine though. It’s simply feels like an other way to mention IP Ranges isn’t it ? (and avoid dealing with multiple DNS records and updates, …)
Ideally with support for “*” would be awesome.

Example with Youtube:
c.youtube.com (seems that youtube have it’s videos under such subdomains)
ytimg.com (used for assets)

Common practice is to have assets under other subdomains, therefore something like follow would be really handy:
assets*.domain.com

How does that sound to you ?

Thanks for your support.

Thanks. Domain-based outbound policy and firewall rules are in fact available on Balance 380 and above. Wildcard is supported in the domain name as well :slight_smile:

Real pity I didn’t found this out before buying… :frowning:

Is there any chance to get such feature released for the Balance 30 as well or only changing hardware could get this done ?

Thanks a lot for the update.

Domain-based outbound policy and firewall rules are planned for Balance 380 or above for now.

But don’t worry. You can always buy a Balance 380 :stuck_out_tongue: There are many great features on Balance 380 as well. I am sure you will like them.

Would you be from the marketing team as well ? :wink:

Thank you for all this details and your time.
Best regards,

• Sébastien Grosjean - ZenCocoon

Yes I am :slight_smile: And thank you for sharing your insight with us. It is only with customer feedback like yours we can advance our solutions even further.

Enjoy your Peplink.

Am I missing something here?
I have a Balance 30 (and also have an ADSL connection & a Tooway satellite service).
With the B30 you can already route outbound traffic based on domain name.

You are right. I confused this with web blocking which is available on Balance 380 or above. Thanks for pointing this out

I was wrong, Sebastien. Domain-based outbound policy and firewall rules are better yet available on all Balance model running firmware 5.4. Please upgrade your Balance 30 and enjoy this new feature right away. Here is how you can register a Peplink and download firmware.

To all. My apology for the confusion. Domain-based outbound policy and firewall rules are available on all Balance model running firmware 5.4. Enjoy your Peplink :slight_smile:

NP, glad to help :slight_smile: