OSPF functionality

I know that firmware 6.x has OSPF support but I’m a bit hazy about what the functionality actually is, and I don’t want to switch it on in my production network without being sure :slight_smile:

If OSPF is enabled… does the device…

1. Learn routes from local OSPF neighbours?

2. Advertise locally-defined routes (on the LAN settings page) to local neighbours?

3. Advertise routes learned from Speedfusion peers to local neighbours?

If (3) is true, that would be very useful for me!

I would like to know how the device selects which route to use if it has learned a particular prefix via OSPF and also from a Speedfusion peer.

With thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

1. Learn routes from local OSPF neighbours?

Yes. If you defined the Balance as the Area Border Router, then it will learn the routes from multiple areas.

1. Advertise locally-defined routes (on the LAN settings page) to local neighbours?

Yes.

1. Advertise routes learned from Speedfusion peers to local neighbours?

Yes.

Thanks for that information. Could you comment on how the device prioritizes routes learned from different sources?

Also, what cost does it advertise speedfusion routes with?

All this information would be useful to integrate peplink OSPF into a larger network, but I can’t find it documented anywhere.

Hi,

Our route prioritization is based on the Outbound Policy.

The cost of learned SpeedFusion routes is 10000 by default. Again, route prioritization is based on the Outbound Policy.

Hope this help.

Again, thanks very much for this information.

Knowing the default cost is very useful. However I can’t see any way to modify the costs in Outbound Policy. (10,000 would be a very high cost in our network, so those would be last-resort routes only, and I want them to be first-resort routes!)

I don’t think there is one, but could I please suggest that you guys consider writing up a knowledge base article on using OSPF with Peplink in a heterogeneous network? I’m sure a lot of people would be interested, because it is potentially such a useful feature.

I see the new beta firmware has some more exposure of OSPF details in the GUI so maybe I should be trying that :slight_smile:

Hi,

The cost cannot be change. The route prioritization I mentioned above is using the Load Balance Algorithm like Weighted, Enforced, Priority and etc. The function is like static route which can used as workaround to prioritize the route.