OpenVPN with NordVPN configuration blocks local network device to device communications

Hi,
I am using a Pepwave MAX BR1 Pro 5G running firmware 8.3.0 build 5229.

I setup OpenVPN with a NordVPN connection and applied to the WAN. My understanding is that all WAN access now goes through the VPN tunnel. This is find and does appear to be working.

The issue I have is that when first setup the network all works fine, but after some time no new clients can estabilsh a wifi connection and I can no longer access the Pepwave router. The only way to restore local network and wifi connection is to disconnect the WAN port cable to kill the VPN connection and reboot the Pepwave. Once the Pepwave comes back up I can access the management page and set the OpenVPN to un-active (eg uncheck the active box), save the settings and then bring back up the WAN link.

I highly suspect that I have a basic configuration set wrong. I dont have any VLANs configured, but assumed anything coming into the router via the WiFi AP or the LAN port are in a common network (VLAN) and that the VPN tunnel was only used if the traffic transited the WAN link.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

1 Like

I wanted to update this post. I am not sure what happened. I have not changed anything on the router, but it miraculously started working as I thought it should have behaved. The NordVPN is now only on the WAN leg so LAN side devices can see each other and communicate.

I have no idea why it didnt work on day one, like I said I have not changed anything on the router.