OpenVPN Support

I have great news to share with everyone! You asked and we listened, OpenVPN client mode will be officially supported in the 8.1.1 firmware build and the license key will only cost $20!

8.1.0 should be going GA by the end of July and after that we should be able to create a special build of it with this feature supported for those who can’t wait to try it out.

Stay tuned!

11 Likes

Will it automatically be included with prime care devices?

1 Like

Good timing I was looking for an answer to this. This would be great and happy to pay $20 for the feature.

@Tim_S Thanks for listening. Good job by a good vendor. :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you for listening!

1 Like

Can you give us overview of how this will work on multiWAN Balance units?

OpenVPN WAN is standalone “WAN” (i.e. a new WAN show on Dashboard). You can configure the priority of the physical WANs to connect to OpenVPN server (similar to IPsec’s “WAN Connection Priority”). You can apply outbound policy, firewall, etc on OpenVPN WAN.

7 Likes

OpenVPN is inferior to our SpeedFusion technology. If you want true hot-failover and bandwidth bonding the only solution is SpeedFusion.

Thanks

1 Like

If you added OpeVPn client support to Fusionhub, then we could do Speedfusion Bonding to Fusionhub from Peplink hardware and use a third party commercial VPN provider for anonymous and/or geographic routing of more sensitive/vpn aware traffic like Netflix bbc iplayer etc.

4 Likes

A license for an open standard VPN even if $20 is abit of a harsh. Since it was requested back in 2016 and almost any premium home router has support for both client and server mode nowadays. I was going to suggest you start focusing on new wireguard VPN protocol. Ultra efficient, secure and now core in Linux kernel. A great benchmark for future work related VPNs

1 Like

I mentioned about a month ago I might be pressing my luck as it appears Open VPN is just now happening, but suggested WireGuard be looked at.

It is amazing how fast wireguard is without taking a big hit on the encryption overhead.

1 Like

Now that 8.1.0 is officially released, when do you expect to have a Beta release 8.1.1 with OpenVPN support available for testing?

We are working hard on this feature, firmware will be available soon.

3 Likes

Any thoughts on when you’d be comfortable releasing a beta with OpenVPN?

1 Like

OpenVPN client mode is around the corner. Please wait for the annoucement.

Thanks.

2 Likes

standing by. beta would also be appreciated.

Hello @YachtGurus,
Welcome to the forum.
OpenVPN client support has been released.
see Introducing the OpenVPN WAN License!

Have fun with it!

2 Likes

Throwing in my support for WireGuard on Max BR1 Pro HWv7 and newer (LTE Cat 20 & 5G). Will obsolesce all the insecure-supply-chain competition.

If I purchased the OpenVPN client license and bought a second Peplink router, can the license be transferred to the new router (or used on both)?

If it is able to be transferred (so only on one device at a time) - what is the process of transfer?

Thanks.

The OpenVPN client license is working, however request that you add password support for an encrypted private key. Many OpenVPN servers encrypt the private key by default, and currently the only way to add these profiles to Peplink is to manually decrypt the private key and put the decrypted key back into the OpenVPN profile before adding to Peplink.

The private key password should be able to be saved when the profile is loaded (similar to username/password), or if not saved, then prompted upon login.

For clarification, the encrypted private key is not the same as an OpenVPN username/password.
This feature is standard on OpenVPN Connect client software as shown below.