NO to InControl - Need alternative path for 6.1 firmware upgrade!

I will not hand over control or even partial control of my internet router device to pepwave with whom I have no knowledge or association. This appears to NOW BE A REQUIREMENT for 6.1 firmware upgrade that is needed to fix stuff that IS BROKEN with the current MAX BR1 LTE firmware 6.0.3. I actually found one of your bugs for you which doesn’t say much for your testing methodology. The mandate to blindly hand over control of my device to pepwave in order to fix/upgrade a broken firmware is draconian. Given the relatively high retail purchase price of pepwave MAX BR1 devices I demand an alternative upgrade path that DOESN’T involve “INCONTROL”. In fact I am perfectly OK with staying at firmware 6.0.3 as long as I can patch the broken MAC address ACL problem inherent to that release. I don’t mind registering a device serial number for record keeping purposes but this “6.1 upgrade” scenario it seems, and correct me if I’m wrong, gives Pepwave carte blanche access to my 4G router. I HAVE NO USE FOR INCONTROL AND CURRENTLY HAVE ITS ACCESS DENIED IN THE CURRENT FIRMWARE FOR REASONS STATED ABOVE.

A RESPONSE IS REQUIRED WITH A DETAILED EXPLANATION OF EXACTLY WHAT “INCONTROL” DOES AND ITS CAPABILITIES WITH RESPECT TO DEPTH OF ACCESS TO PRIVATE DEVICES THAT CONTAIN SENSITIVE INFORMATION.

Let me clarify.

InControl is NOT a requirement to the 6.1 upgrade. As a customer, you have full control over turning on the InControl function in your Peplink/Pepwave devices.

The path to the 6.x upgrade (for applicable, but out of warranty devices) is by purchasing the respective extended warranty. 6.x upgrade is free to applicable models which are in warranty.

We just make use of InControl to provide a convenient, self-service portal for customers to check their device warranty status. Managing your devices under InControl is completely optional and at the discretion of customers.

Regarding the collection of data, you can review our privacy policy. And thank you for your feedback, we will also revise the policy soon to reflect the latest status with the release of IC2.

OKay… When I see Step 1 - 2 - 3 setup for the upgrade path, step 1 of which is to “add device to Incontrol” that was cause to raise suspicions on my end. The device was purchased just a few months ago and had better be ‘in warranty’ else that being the shortest warranty period in history. When I upgraded the FW to 6.0.3 (was forced to due to the fact that the device would not hold a 4G connection) there was no need to register anything. Besides when I found the MAC ACL bug you were sent all the information at that time. It should be in the original trouble ticket opened for that issue.

I WANT TO BE CRYSTAL CLEAR BEFORE I DOWNLOAD AND APPLY ANY UPDATES AT THIS POINT;

1. IF I AM CERTAIN THAT THIS DEVICE IS ‘IN WARRANTY’ IS THERE STILL A NEED TO MESS WITH INCONTROL ??

2. I CERTAINLY HOPE THAT THIS FIRMWARE DOESN’T EXPIRE OR REQUIRE ADDITIONAL ‘WARRANTY PURCHASES’ FOR FUTURE UPGRADES THAT FIX BUGGY SYSTEMS WHEN THE CURRENT WARRANTY EXPIRES.

3. WHY THE CAUTION ON PEPWAVES’ PART FOR IN/OUT OF WARRANTY DEVICES REGARDING THIS UPGRADE? IS THERE POSSIBILITY OF RENDERING DEVICES INOPERABLE IN SOME WAY THAT WOULD REQUIRE A WARRANTY REPLACEMENT OR REPAIR OF SOME SORT??

4. WHAT IS THE POINT OF REQUIRING A “KEY” FOR A FIRMWARE UPGRADE?? IT’S NOT SOMETHING THAT WOULD/COULD NEED PROTECTION FROM PIRACY, ETC.

1. There is no need to mess with InControl. It is simply for customers who want to enjoy FREE central management, FREE real-time GPS tracking, FREE fleet management, etc.

2. The 6.1 firmware will never expire or ever require you to purchase anything additional.

3. The 6.1 firmware added some key enhancements and features, especially for the Balance router family. I have never seen a device bricked upgrading the firmware.

4. Actually, the BR1 should require no upgrade key when you install it. You can simply upgrade the unit straight away.

Thanks for your support of our brand and products, we appreciate your business.

Yes thank you. 6.1 has worked as you stated above. The MAX support page should give a bit clearer recount of the upgrade path for the MAX BR1 devices. Currently at first and even second glances it gives the impression that there is a key required and that InControl is a requirement for upgrading etc. Any, thanks for the clarification.

Your feedback is much appreciated. We will update our 6.1 upgrade guide soon to make things clearer. Thanks.