No nearby APs in Balance 20x and firmware 8.1

When I look at: AP → Controller Status → Nearby Devices I see no nearby APs. There are many nearby SSIDs detected by assorted WiFi scanning apps. The router is not controlling any APs, just using its own internal WiFi.

What am I missing or what don’t I understand? Thanks.

@Michael234

Just a quicks check for our labs Balance 20x and i can see the Nearby detected APs and Station info.

Do you mind to share your WIFI AP settings here ? Just want to isolate the possible issue.

1 Like

Remote Access is enabled. Feel free to see for yourself at any time. The only active SSID is on 5GHz only. If you want to enable 2.4GHz for that SSID, as a test, feel free.

1 Like

So, today it is working and SSIDs are being shown. Did you change something?

Yes, @Michael234. I have updated the finding via ticket #20090881 few days ago.

I had enabled nearby network detection on all my APs (2x minis and B20x)… but noticed the AP minis were detecting each other’s and the B20x SSIDs that they all share in common.

The B20x seems to filter out its own known SSIDs and only flagged neighboring APs.

Bug? Or nearby detection feature meant to only run off 1 main AP?

For now I have disabled the nearby detection on the AP minis and only left it on for the B20x AP.

@stego, I assume both AC Minis are managed by B20X. So, you mean both AC Minis detect each other and B20X as nearby AP. But B20X doesn’t detect both AC Minis as nearby AP?

Yes to both your questions

Checked again this morning.

Seems the B20x is picking up my main SSIDs (tied to untagged lan) as well.

Strangely RSSI being reported by the B20x on each detection ranges from -157dbm to -168dbm.

Not sure I understand how this is supposed to work. But the MAC addresses detected are tied to my AP mini SSIDs.

@stego, I have checked my APs that managed by MFA500. I don’t see the APs are detected with each other as the nearby AP. Since you have a ticket with us, do you mind I check this on your devices?

Can you elaborate more on this? What do you mean B20X is picking up the main SSID (B20X doesn’t support WIFI WAN)?

May I know where you see this?

Can you elaborate more on this?

RA is enabled so go ahead.

I have 4 SSIDs defined. 2 of them are tied to vlans the other two are not and tied to untagged lan.

The SSIDs tied to vlans don’t appear anywhere in the nearby device AP list. Only my SSIDs tied to untagged Lan are listed. Not sure why the AP detection would see only 2 of the 4 SSIDs.

As for the RSSI reading, it appears if I hover over the detected MAC address in the nearby device list for a given AP. it shows which device detected the AP and what signal strength it came in at, if I understand it correctly.

@stego, please help to turn on RA for both APs for me to take a closer look.

Thanks.

Ah sorry @TK_Liew . It’s enabled on both AP minis now.

@stego, I will PM you of my finding since there is some private and confidential info.

1 Like