newbie cannot access wan address

I have a Peplink MAX BR1 Mini router. I have verified that the Tmobile sim I am using works and that it is activated. The Peplink router gives me the correct WAN ip address (I changed the APN to be correct) but I am unable to login to the GUI remotely. Any idea of any other settings I need to check?

Hi @Joshua_Askew . Your issue is rather well known and is not the "fault’ of TMO, Peplink or the internet gods. Rather, TMO has placed your router behind carrier-grade network address translation (CGNAT.) Search here in the forum for “CGNAT” and point your favorite search engine to the same term on the internet. As a starting point I will offer this: Carrier-grade NAT - Wikipedia . (Incidentally, you performed very good/logical troubleshooting steps.)

This is not all “bad” and has benefits, among them protection of your device via another firewall and, for the carrier, a means to deal with limited IP address space.

There are a number of solutions to deal with this issue, and I suspect others here on the Forum can/will offer suggestions not listed here. But, consider these to start:

1. Connect to another Peplink router using PepVPN or SpeedFusion and get into your Mini that way.
  2. Spin up a FusionHub Solo [free license from Peplink!] in the cloud, connect to it via PepVPN and enter that way. (“Cloud services” will cost you just a few $$/month.) @MartinLangmaid has an excellent video on YouTube that describes the procedure. There may be others as well.
  3. Use InControl.

So, in sum, your situation is not unique. It’s just a “feature” of the cellular environment. :<)

• Rick

I was able to find a resolution for this. I did not set the web admin Access to LAN/WAN. After I changed that setting I was able to remote into public ip address. Thanks for responding.