New VZW hotspot plans

Link to news article

Was hoping that Verizon would eliminate data caps on post-paid plans, that didnt happen. :cry: But at least there are more plan choices beyond 30GB.

There also seems to have been some compatibility issues addressed with enrollment on postpaid data plans. Previously any Peplink IMEIā€™s were only offered the 15GB planā€¦and to get 30GB Unlimited Plus required ā€œworkaroundsā€ā€¦ Now the BYOD IMEI check offers all of the available plans for CAT18 Peplink IMEI! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice thanks for sharing

1 Like

A couple weeks ago I stopped by a Verizon store and tried to purchase the 150 GB prepaid plan. They asked for what device and I said currently a Netgear Nighthawk, probably eventually a Peplink. They said it wonā€™t work on it. Is that true? I thought T-Mobile was full of it when they said the same thing, got it to work for about a month, but then they made a change so their 5G plan stopped working on the Netgear. What the heck are we supposed to use then?

The site seems to confirm, saying ā€œVerizon Mobile Hotspot plans are compatible with the latest 5G Ultra Wideband-capable and 4G LTE devices offered by Verizon, including the Inseego MiFi M2100 5G UW and the Verizon Jetpack MiFi 8800L.ā€

I had to get an Inseego temporarily to get my T-Mobile 5G 100GB sim to work until I get Peplink gear, and I hate that thing ā€“ no ethernet port, it constantly beeps and wants me to disconnect it from power, only for it to die within hours if itā€™s unplugged.

All the third party unlimited plans that use Verizon and T-Mobile also require you buy their crap consumer devices. So what the heck are all the Peplink owners using??

There are some resellers that allow you to BYOD, ā€œbring your own deviceā€ although that seems easier to find for AT&T and T-Mobile than Verizon. Nobody outside the business seems to know what the plans really are or if they are legitimately intended for routers. ā€œIt stopped working so they had to send me a new SIMā€ is an experience frequently reported on various forums in relation to resellers.

I know one reseller selling an ā€œunlimitedā€ Verizon SIM, BYOD for $125 per month. FAQ asks you to keep monthly usage below 2 TB.

I know another selling ā€œUnlimited hotspot serviceā€ on Verizon for $55 per month where ā€œunlimitedā€ means 200 GB and they ā€œWork with most Verizon hotspots and compatible 4G LTE routersā€. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s just a Page Plus phone SIM that anyone can buy from Walgreens etc. They have the same thing for AT&T and it appears to be Net10. They sell these both on their own site and on eBay. The eBay listings even say Page Plus and Net10 as the ā€œbrandā€. They have 99.7% positive feedback with over 12,000 reviews so I guess something works.

1 Like

I have both the pre-paid and post-paid Verizon hotspot plans and have used them on CAT12, CAT18, and CAT20/5G Peplink products. Iā€™ve also used them in the Netgear Nighthawk 5G.

I did have to use the iOS/Android app to purchase the plans versus doing it online. Verizonā€™s address picker has been broken off and on for a while if youā€™re trying to create a new account.

Early on, their IMEI verification failed for CAT18 and CAT20 stuff, but that was at least a month or longer ago.

2 Likes

@Steve_Mitchell Good to hear, I might pick up a pre-paid to try it out then, until I get an unlimited one sorted.

@tetranz I PMā€™d you for that reseller if you care to share, thanks!

I just bought a setup through Mr. Pitts, and I think heā€™s going to have a couple plan recommendations too. Fingers crossed it improves things ā€“ Iā€™ve been using the Inseego and Netgear with T-Mobile with Speedify/Connectify and itā€™s been a nightmare since we arrived at our new semi-rural home Halloween night.