New "Enable Wi-Fi 6" setting in Firmware 8.4 on Balance 20X - BUT device does NOT support 802.11ax??

In Firmware 8.4 when logged in to local web admin interface at AP > Wireless SSID > SSID there is a NEW setting “Enable Wi-Fi 6” visible when you click the Help button on top right and select “To set advanced settings”. It is between the “Broadcast SSID” and “Data Rate” settings. See pic:

The “Enable Wi-Fi 6” setting is ON/TICKED by default for all my SSIDs.

The Balance 20X does NOT support Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax).

Can Peplink therefore please explain why there is this new option in firmware 8.4 and what value it should be set to (ON/TICKED or OFF/UNTICKED) in order to ensure that there is no security issue? Presumably OFF/UNTICKED as the hardware does not support it, but unclear since it defaults to ON/TICKED at firmware upgrade from 8.3, so needs to be clarified explicitly.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for reporting the issue. “Enable Wi-Fi 6” is a new option introduced in 8.4.0.
This is designed for user to disable Wi-Fi 6 support on a particular SSID so that some legacy Wi-Fi clients can connect to that SSID.
B20X itself does not support Wi-Fi 6, this is irrelevant to its integrated AP. It is visible on B20X because it can be an AP Controller and manage Wi-Fi 6 capable APs. We will hide this option if AP controller is not enabled and also add help text to explain its usage in the next release.

Thanks,
Lewis

Thanks Lewis. I couldn’t find it mentioned in the manual either so thought it was worth checking with you guys.

So just to confirm: if I’m only using the integrated AP on the B20x then it doesn’t matter whether the “Enable Wi-Fi 6” box is ticked or unticked? It doesn’t do anything? There is not one setting which it is “better” to set (i.e. unticked since there is no WiFi6 in the hardware) than the other?

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

You are right. This setting has no impact on B20X integrated AP.

Thanks,
Lewis