Network Printer Headaches

–: Setup for Wired Network Brother printer fails –
Problem: Brother printer is not detected by Brother setup disk.
-ENV: Windows 8.1, SOHO Mk III, 8.1.0 firmware
-Computer is hooked up to the SOHO port 1 LAN, vlan routing checked
-SOHO is working normally for internet connections.
-Printer is hooked to port 2, vlan routing checked, DHCP reservation set for the printer’s static address, port 2=Access
-I can ping the printer’s static address from the Windows 8.1 command line.
-I can tracert the printer’s static address from the command line.
-I can ping the printer’s static address from the SOHO administration interface.
-Brother setup software can’t detect the printer even when the static IP is entered.
Are these confusing symptoms caused by hooking up the printer to a VLAN port? In that case, should I hook the printer to the LAN port and the computer to port 2 VLAN?

Thanks!
Sparky5

Follow-up on previous Brother network setup. This setup works normally and there is no issue with connecting the printer to a physical port VLAN that communicates with the untagged LAN port device. As usual, the printer’s 4-button interface panel must be set and reset to ‘network’ at least 5 times before it actually accepts the new configurations. I entered (on the printer and on the router) a static IP, an unneeded sub-net mask, and a gateway address on the printer directing it to the router’s physical VLAN port. After numerous resets and re-boots the printer’s browser-based control panel appeared and confirmed the network setup. Brother’s own network detection disc still could not find the printer. Typical.
-Sparky5

If the printer requires multi-cast for discovery – that won’t work across network boundaries (vlan segments). SSDP is the protocol I suspect it is using. If so, put your computer on the Vlan with the printer and finish the setup. With any luck the SSDP discovery is only needed for configuration and after that the IP address can be used by the client. Fingers crossed for you buddy.

When I went to segment my wireless traffic from my wired traffic, I found this little gem as well. I ended up scrapping the VLans since all of my “service” devices are wired in, but all of my clients are wireless. keeping them all in the same layer 2 makes everything work seamlessly. Peplink has come up with a clever way to allow Apple devices to discover devices across VLans (BonJour Service Forwarding), but it is not quite available for standard UDP multi-cast groups.

1 Like