NAT Mappings vs. Inbound / Outbound Policy for Additional Public IP Address

Peplink Balance One. Wan1 has a main static IP address

X.Y.Z.1

as well as another 4 “Additional Public IP Addresses”

X.Y.Z.2
X.Y.Z.3
X.Y.Z.4
X.Y.Z.5

I’m using Inbound Port Forwarding so that each public IP address routes to a different server (which each live on a different 10.x network). This works great.

However, when these servers initiate an outgoing connection, the connections always seem to be originating from the .1 address.

Is there any way to use the Outbound Policy to force each server to have it’s own outgoing address? (.2, .3, .4, or .5)

On the Outbound Policy, Edit Custom Rule settings, the Algorithm=Enforced, the Enforced Connection only has options of WAN1, WAN2 … WAN: Mobile.

I’d really like to be able to specify the IP address, e.g.

WAN1:x.y.z.1
WAN1:x.y.z.2
etc.

Is this possible?

As I write this, I see that I’ve asked this question before: Additional Public IP Address settings and the answer seems to be NAT Mappings.

So let me refine my question: when using NAT Mappings, do I also use the Inbound Policy / Port Forwarding? Or would those two things conflict? (NAT mappings itself has an “Inbound” section").

Just use 1:1 NAT mappings. Nothing else needed, apart from additional firewall rules to lock down what incoming traffic should be forwarded onto the servers that are targeted by each mapping.

1 Like