My PEPLINK BALANCE 20 IS SLOW

Hi, I am not IP nor Network savvy.

I purchased a PEPLINK BALANCE 20 for my home, I connected a 50mps fibre optic internet connection to port 1 and a 10mbps phone internet service to into port two.

Then cabled from Lan 1 to a wi fi router and I connect my devices via wi fi to that router.

However this is slower and more unstable than if I just connect my 50mps straight to my wifi router, overriding the Peplink.

I can see this when I stream media and surf the web, the service has peaks and valleys.

HOWEVER when I check it on Speedtest.com the results are higher! I am Confused. I only have macs at home, so I don´t know how to access my Peplink console.

You combine both connections when testing with Speedtest.net, however normal internet traffic will load balance the WANs. By default you can browse to 192.168.1.1 and configure outbound policy rules accordingly for your scenario. The peaks and valleys indicate which WAN you are using.

Hi Ron!

Does this mean that if I am using Strong DNS, this might be slowing it down?

Saludos,

Jack Chernitsky

@jchernitsky, please connect in this way and do let me know the stability and speed test result.

Mac —wired—> (LAN) Balance 20 (WAN1) —> Internet

Please disconnect WAN2 (10Mbps) for testing purpose. You may access Balance 20 with http://192.168.1.1, username/password = admin/admin with the default settings.

Hi!

1. I don’t have username nor password

2. How come when I measure my Mbps Download on speeds it says 70, but if I download an iTunes movie it takes 20min to downoald 5gb?

1. You can reset the username and password to defaults by pressing the reset button on the back of the router with a paperclip for 5 seconds.

2. At 70 Mbps it would take a little under 10 minutes to download 5 GB so it sounds like you’re downloading from iTunes at about 35 Mbps. I would think that’s a question better suited for your ISP, though since you said your service is 50 Mbps, that’s pretty close.

Are there any specific settings I should check to make sure it is summing both ISP?

Saludos,

Jack Chernitsky

Your expectations might be a little off here. It will not automatically sum the speed of any download.

A download is one connection to one server, and it will be no faster. To get extra speed you need a webrowser plugin/downloader program that splits the request into several pieces (requests), and then it makes concurrent part requests and you can get the benefit of the sum total of two WAN’s… maybe.

Most times when the underlying connection or session is https, it cannot be split across multiple WAN’s, because to the server this looks to be an error. Netflix and other paid streaming suffer this.

Check the outbound policy default rules. You need to have one that makes all port 443 traffic, a persistent to a WAN rule. Then the default rule for all else, needs to be set for your preference - the 50M fiber WAN probably.

Yet another un-handled issue is DNS. Each WAN has different answers to the same questions for the major sites, because of internal CDN’s. But the default Peplink has no inbuilt rules to match up the proper WAN path to the DNS answer. i.e. DNS on WAN A says ip 1.2.3.4, which is only available to its own internal customers from within its net. But the Peplink tries to route request through WAN B, going to the resource via a public route to A, without success. The solution is to add a table of routes that are specific to each WAN…

Hi!

Remember I am not tech savvy. What does SPEED FUSION MEAN?

Saludos,

Jack Chernitsky

Jack,

Speed fusion is not for you… its for companies using Peplink equipment, to connect up offices to each other at different locations.

If the standard out of the box, reset defined settings, are not doing it for you, then you will need to learn some networking basics - and make some config changes.