Multicast traffic forwarding

Hello,

Is there any way to forward multicast traffic between VLANs with a Balance 20, just like the way you can do Bonjour forwarding?

2 Likes

No there is not.

1 Like

That’s very disappointing… Thank you Martin.

Best Regards,

John Calefato

JJC Communications

Main: 732-297-4500, Ext. 305

Direct: 732-412-1310

Fax: 732-412-1293

• Sent from my iPhone

@jjccomm, seldom we see such a request for general multicast traffic forwarding, as stated by Martin. However, Peplink has implemented something similar, for Apple networking service, called “Bonjour Forwarding” that you can find in a Balance 20.

Sample screen capture from Balance 20 running latest firmware, 8.0.2 RC1.

Is this something you are after?

1 Like

Hi WeiMing,

Thanks for the reply. I actually do already use Bonjour Forwarding for Apple airplay to work properly when Apple TVs are located on a different VLAN than the customers main WiFi. It’s a great feature. I use it a lot.

That’s actually what gave me the idea for the multicast forwarding. The problem I’m having now is that Sonos uses multicast for device discovery. So if the Sonos devices are on a different VLAN than the customers main WiFi, the Sonos app does not find them…

Best Regards,

John Calefato

JJC Communications

Main: 732-297-4500, Ext. 305

Direct: 732-412-1310

Fax: 732-412-1293

• Sent from my iPhone

Is there a roadmap to support Multicast Routing (MCR). In Germany the VDV (vdv.de) defines standards for whole transportation industry. And the IBIS-IP network depends on Multicast Routing for service discovery.
Please implement MCR.

Documentation:
https://www.vdv.de/301-2-sdes-v2-2-common-conventions.pdfx