Mullvad OpenVPN setup (no support for custom port?)

Balance 580, upgraded to 8.1.1. I purchased the OpenVAN Wan license and installed it and have been attempting to get this to work with Mullvad VPN. It appears, however, that this firmware maybe doesn’t support a custom server port? Mullvad apparently uses custom ports, as seen in this snippet from their .ovpn file:

remote-random
remote hk-hkg-002.mullvad.net 1302
remote hk-hkg-001.mullvad.net 1302
remote hk-hkg-003.mullvad.net 1302
remote hk-hkg-101.mullvad.net 1302
remote hk-hkg-102.mullvad.net 1302

But the router shows it still trying to use port 1194. Even removing the port number from the server entries and adding a “port 1302” directive does not work.

If a custom OpenVPN port is supposed to be supported, please let me know what I can do to make that work. If it’s not supported, I sure hope you will be adding that very soon!

Thanks.

-Scott

This is a web UI bug. The OpenVPN WAN will use the port according to the uploaded file. Please submit a ticket if you still not able to make the OpenVPN WAN connected.

Did you get Mullvad working?

I’m unable to get a connection. The error I receive is invalid OVPN file. I’ve tested the same file with an OpenVPN client separately and it works on the client.

No, I rolled back to 8.1.0 because the web content filter started classifying almost everything as “Social Media”, which really messed up some users.

@mscott Thank you for the reply. I haven’t got it working yet, but when I do, I’ll update the thread with my notes.

1 Like

Just to update, support has confirmed that the current OpenVPN support does not allow for the use of a custom port. It only works on port 1194. I don’t see an option with Mullvad to use this port, so it appears that for now we’re out of luck.

Thank you for investigating this. I was hoping that someone would find a way for it to work. Is Mullvad
not following a standard or convention by using a custom port? (I confess my knowledge of the OpenVPN standards, etc. is very limited.) Is there a list anywhere for what VPN services work with the OpenVPN? Perhaps it would work with a Wireguard implementation in the future.

@mscott, the problem you are facing is not related to the OpenVPN port. We notice Mullvad assigned IPv6 to the OpenVPN WAN. We provided a special firmware to you from the ticket. Do let us know how it goes and follow up with us in the ticket.

Thanks.

Yes, it appears that the initial information I received from support might have been incorrect. The good news is that firmware provided does allow for an OpenVPN connection to Mullvad! Woot!

I have the Surf SOHO 3. With the v8.1.1 firmware and the standard OpenVPN WAN firmware addition would I expect Mullvad to work with IPv4? And is there any additional configuration information that would be beneficial to make this work. My knowledge in this area is limited.

Hi @TK_Liew, is it possible to achieve this setup with Mullvad VPN as WAN without a custom firmware? I have the same issue.

The fix should be available in 9.0.0 and 9.0.0 is under development. We can provide special firmware if this is urgent.

Not urgent, I appreciate the reply. Looking forward to 9.0.0

If anyone has a problem to connect Mullvad, kindly upgrade your device to 8.4.1.

1 Like

Working great so far! Thanks so much!