MK3 wi-fi goes in and out

The MK3 was purchased new from Amazon and I bought it because of routersecurity.org and a co-worker’s recommendation. The MK3 replaced an aging Asus router and I was looking for something more robust that utilized vlans. The MK3 has the latest firmware and is connected to AT&T Uverse. I did a basic setup of the MK3 that mirrored my previous router as in I created 4 different AP SSIDs with different names. 2 are 2.4 and 2 are 5ghz. One 2.4 AP has layer 2 isolation enabled. The wi-fi speeds are not as fast as the previous router, but I want that concerned because MK3 is now to me and I just did a basic set up get going. This past Saturday night something happened. I awoke to find the AT&T and MK3 routers locked up. All lights on both routers were solid. I picked up the MK3 to check the ethernet wan connection and noticed that the case was rather warm and those lights were solid. I unplugged both, waited 30 seconds and plugged them back in. The AT&T router came up, but the MK3 came up in the same shape. I used my trusty paperclip to reset…held for 30 seconds and bam, it is out of the box fresh. I loaded the basic config I saved from earlier and all was well for a few hours and then the wi-fi drop on all SSIDs and few minutes later it comes back up on all. Then it did it again after a few minutes and continued to cycle up and down until I looked in and put all SSIDs on 2.4ghz. The wi-fi stabilized and after a few hours I added 5ghz to all SSIDs. All is still well today, I am concerned about the stability of this router for I have never had this problem before. Can anyone shed any light on this? In closing, if this is in the forum, I apologize.

Support team should be happy to help to verify and make sure the router is working as expected. Please open a support ticket and allow support to check on it.

1 Like

First thing: any router or modem should be plugged in to a surge protector. Better yet to a line-interactive UPS. Think of it like buying insurance.

Exactly what do you mean by WiFi drop?
There is a Wifi light on the front of the modem, did it change?
Perhaps the Wifi networks are scheduled?
Check the event log .

And, good for you for saving the configuration to a backup file.

3 Likes