MIMO cellular antenna for a MAX BR1 MK2

Hello everyone,

I have a Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 LTEA Industrial Grade 4G Cellular Router and have been using it for about 1 year. I’m using a data only, prepaid, unlimited SIM card from Verizon in one of the SIM slots. The second SIM slot is not being used at the moment, but I plan to add an AT&T card in the next 6 months.

The MAX BR1 MK2 has been working amazingly well, but I would like better cellular reception when I find myself in more remote areas with weak cell signal.

I would like to replace the original cellular antennas, with a high quality, external MIMO antenna.

I’m looking for recommendations from the group for MIMO antennas which would work best with the MAX BR1 MK2.

Thank you all for your help.

poynting…

1 Like

Hello @TheTraveller orrissium
Welcome to the Peplink Forum,

You may like to ask your local authorised Peplink Partner for a copy of the Antenna Selection Guide available to them from the Partner section of this forum.

Your local Certified Peplink Partner can help you with a copy of the Antenna Selection Guide for Peplink Partners . The detailed guide is only available to the Peplink Partners so to ensure that you get helped in working through it to get the most suitable antenna solution to your application.

Happy to Help,
Marcus :slight_smile:

1 Like

I called 3 different Peplink partners, but unfortunately they weren’t aware of the document. One of them sent me to the following link. https://www.peplink.com/products/antennas/ but I don’t think it is the antenna selection guide.

Is there another way to get this antenna selection guide? Does anyone else have a copy of the pdf file they can forward?

Hello @TheTraveller,
If they are not Certified Peplink Partners, they will not have access to the Pepwlink Partners area of the forum where the linked article is.
What country are you in? A local Peplink partner/distributor will most likely be active here in the forum and they will able to pick this up and look after you.
Happy to Help,

I am in the US. I called 3 places from the list in the link you posted.

Hello @TheTraveller,
As it is the middle of the night in the US, let’s wait to see who reaches out to you.

The US has one of the highest numbers of distributors and resellers of any country in the world currently (screenshot is a small snippet of them).

So there will be an experienced Peplink Partner locally that can look after this for you.
Happy to Help,

Sure. @mldowling is correct and I’ll help you out. I’ll send you off a PM. - Rick

2 Likes

Hi Rick, thank you for your help.

I received your PM. Did you receive my reply?

No. Let’s start over. I’ll contact you again via PM.

1 Like

Slightly off topic, how did you get Verizon to give you a prepaid sim card that works in the Max br1 mk2? I have called them multiple times and they claim from the IMEI that it’s a router and they will not allow it to use a prepaid account. Very frustrating.

most people activate in a mifi device that vzw allows, then move the sim. ymmv.

The pre-paid unlimited plan I have from Verizon is $39/month, but is no longer available. It is a data only plan. When I signed up for it, I had to buy a Verizon Hot Spot and the data only SIM card was installed in the hot spot by the sales people in the store. I told my sales guy that I was going to place the SIM card in the Pepwave mobile router and he said OK. When I got to my RV, I took it out of the Hot Spot and placed it in one of the slots in the Pepwave. Everything has been working fine since then.

I have been using an average of 300 to 400 GB per month (download and upload) over the last 18 months and I have never been throttled.

I believe that over the last 2 weeks or so, Verizon has been offering another pre-paid
unlimited data only plan for around $75/month. I don’t know if this plan allows you to place the SIM in a Pepwave, but its worth a question. I also don’t know what their definition of “unlimited” is for this plan. Here is a link that describes this plan: Verizon’s New $75 Unlimited Prepaid Plan Is Ultra Wideband Enabled - BestMVNO

I hope this helped. Good luck.