Milestone VMS streaming

Router. BR1 Mini HW3
FW. 8.4.1 build 5107
SIM. Verizon
Band. LTE Band 4 (AWS 1700/2100 MHz)
RSSI: -55dBm SINR: 24.2dB RSRP: -83dBm RSRQ: -9.0dB
BW. 30+ MBps (Download) 15+ MBps (Upload) bandwidth varies (location dependent)

I have a client who wants to connect to the cameras via Milestone. Right now, we are using “Port Mapping” in order to get to Port 80 on the cameras because we have two cameras (2 cameras per surveillance trailer). The cameras are set up on 192.168.75.10 and 192.168.75.11. We are using a router, and the mappings are Port 81 maps to port 80 to the 192.168.75.10 camera and Port 82 maps to port 80 of the 192.168.75.11 camera. Milestone “sees” the cameras, but we are not getting any video. There is plenty of cellular bandwidth available for testing.
ONVIV. We are connecting to the cameras as an ONVIV camera using the H.264 CODEC. In Milestone we are using the “H.264 Main” setting. Is there a better CODEC to use? Do you know/heard of which Milestone CODEC to use? (I know this is a “router” centric forum, but asking in case someone has any experience) Beating the camera firmware “horse” in parallel to this inquiry with the camera and VMS software provider).

Port forwarding and mapping does not work over cellular (unless you have a static IP SIM card) and this is due to the fact that they are using CGNAT.

1 Like

Yes, if your cellular is CGNAT you will have issues.

You may also need multiple ports open- ONVIF is the control protocol but you often need data ports too.

Can you get a peplink into the server side as well and use Speedfusion? You could use another peplink router, a Fusionhub virtual appliance or the Speedfuision Relay for this.

1 Like

OP, Bryn’s suggestion is the correct way to do this (in my opinion). Using SpeedFusion solves your NAT problem on the carrier side.

Guys thank you so much!

We always deploy the routers with public static IP’s so it makes this easier.

I always consider this a “plumbing” issue of where traffic needs to go.

I feel like I should have known this!

I talked to the camera manufacturer yesterday and the bryn.loftus hit the nail on the head.

In this case (the example for my scenario) I am mapping port 81 to 80 for one camera and 82 to 80 for the other. On the cameras I have to setup the RTSP stream one camera to 554 and the other camera to 555.

On Axis cameras its different; I use different ports because they will stream on port 80 or 443 natively.

I have used Speed Fusion in a limited fashion before and it worked great for us. We were just using it essentially for remote access (troubleshooting).

Have other constraints now which have limited the number of routers we deploy…

1 Like