MIcrosoft VPN Issues

I have a customer that has a Pepwave Surf SOHO MK3. Windows Server 2012 R2. I can’t for the life of me get either L2TP or PPTP set up on the server and access it via Windows 10. I can’t help but feel it has something to do with the Pepwave Surf SOHO MK3.

Here is what I have been told so far:

1. With that particular router my only option is Microsoft VPN. Server and Client.
  2. By default everything on that router is set up fine. All I have to do is forward the correct ports to the Windows 2012 R2 Server.

I have a couple of days time wrapped up in this little project and I am about to give up. The questions abound:

1. Is what I was told correct? Microsoft VPM is my only option?
  2. GRE and VPN Passthrough keep coming up but “by default the router is set up OK”? Really?

Sorry but I can’t help but feel the problems I am having aren’t in the router. I need to get one user connected remotely to this sever via VPN. Any gelp would be greatly appreciated.

IMHO you’re doing this the hard way trying to use the Windows Server as the VPN server. That functionality is built right into your SOHO > Advanced > Remote User Access.

You should use L2TP as PPTP was hacked a long time ago. Using the Windows L2TP client software after creating the connection go to Network & Internet Settings > Change Adapter Options > Right click properties for your connection name.

Once in the connection properties Security tab > Allow these protocols select Microsoft CHAP only.

From there you should have no trouble connecting a remote WIndows PC to the router, and you’re on the local LAN.

Yes. Two calls in to support on two different days and both techs said it was the only way I could to it. Finally found the PDF document and 15 minutes later had it up and running. Don’t know what to say……

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.