Microsoft Office updates not working - DNS resolution issue


#1

Hello,

We are running a Peplink One Core with 5 ADSL connections, the DNS forwarding is enabled.

There is an issue with updating Windows Office on our Macs, it just can’t connect to the server. The URL that it tries to find is:

http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/C1297A47-86C4-4C1F-97FA-950631F94777/OfficeMac/Microsoft_PowerPoint_15.24.0_160709_Updater.pkg

It seems that the url officecdn.microsoft.com can’t be found. If I run a nslookup using the peplink, this is the message:

mac:~ admin1$ nslookup officecdn.microsoft.com
;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.
;; communications error to 192.168.0.250#53: end of file

I am not sure what this means, but if I connect directly to the modem (not using the peplink), it gives this response:

MacMini:~ admin11$ nslookup officecdn.microsoft.com

Server:        172.16.20.2
Address:    172.16.20.2#53


Non-authoritative answer:
officecdn.microsoft.com    canonical name = officecdn15.c2r.microsoft.com.akadns.net.
officecdn15.c2r.microsoft.com.akadns.net    canonical name = officecdn15-worldwide.c2r.microsoft.com.akadns.net.
officecdn15-worldwide.c2r.microsoft.com.akadns.net    canonical name = 2-01-3f20-0003.cdx.cedexis.net.
2-01-3f20-0003.cdx.cedexis.net    canonical name = officecdn-prod.microsoft.com.edgekey.net.
officecdn-prod.microsoft.com.edgekey.net    canonical name = officecdn-prod.microsoft.com.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net.
officecdn-prod.microsoft.com.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net    canonical name = e1723.dscd.akamaiedge.net.
Name:    e1723.dscd.akamaiedge.net
Address: 23.40.4.152

This seems to be a very long answer, is there perhaps a limitation on the peplink DNS forwarding? Is it possible that it just can’t forward this above results?

hopefully someone technical can understand this!

Thanks

Amaravati


#2

Hi Amaravati,

I tested this is working fine. Please find the attached screen shot below.


Balance router relies on the DNS servers that defined on the WAN interfaces to resolve specific domain name if the requested domain was out of Local DNS Records and the DNS cache.

Please do me favor below.

  1. Change the DNS server IP to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in all WAN interfaces.

  2. Upgrade Balance router to latest firmware version.

Hope this help.


#3

hello,

Changed all DNS to 8.8.8.8 and it worked. Perhaps the DNS servers from my provider is not setup in the same way. The DNS I used where:

Primary DNS: 217.146.96.77
Secondary DNS: 217.146.96.78

Somehow they do not provide the correct results. I will have to keep using the Google DNS servers from now.

Thanks,

Amaravati