Mediafast-IOS updates caching

Hello team,

we are working with a customer that asked us a device in order to limit bandwidth overload when employees perform IOS software updates with their Apple devices. So we immediately thought to Mediafast routers. We performed some tests in the past days, and we saw that no data has been cached on routers. First at all we installed the Peplink certificate for https caching on our test devices, and after that, we added the apple domain to the whitelist domains to cache. So we tried to download for example the same app from the two devices, but every time the Peplink was forwarding the traffic through wan.
I’ve also opened a ticket, and as i saw during my tests, only some types of extensions can be cached by the router. So, our primary request is if it is possible to add caching for IOS software updates (like in mesu apple’s website) and eventually for app updates…

Thanks in advance

1 Like

We will revisit your ticket and follow up with you.

Thanks.

1 Like

@TK_Liew, please provide the info here as well. I’m pretty sure iOS update is supported. Thanks.

1 Like

A different approach specifically for Apple updates (incl. iOS updates) is to deploy a Mac running macOS server on the local network. You can configure it to cache software updates, limiting each update to one download from the WAN. Local iOS devices will automatically retrieve the updates from the local server rather than across the WAN. A somewhat ad hoc solution, but if it floats your boat(s)…

1 Like

@Mariano_Tupputi, we tested iOS update is working as expected. Your case is different since you whitelisted a domain. We provide a special firmware for you to test. Do let us know the result and finding.

Thanks.

1 Like