MAX Transit Series clarification

Hi Peplink Team,

I’m creating a Knowledge Base of Peplink products and I have a doubt on something.
From the datasheet here, MAX Transit Single and Duo have embedded LTE, LTEA or LTE-A Pro cellular modems. It can range from CAT4 up to CAT18.

On the ordering information from the datasheet, it’s written LTE-A Pro for the CAT12 and CAT18 models.

Can you please confirm if the CAT12 and CAT18 modems have the same cellular modem?
If yes, then how is it possible that the CAT18 performs 2 times faster than the CAT12?
If no, it is a mistake from the datasheet? and the correct info is:
CAT12: LTEA = LTE-A = LTE-Advanced
CAT18: LTE-A Pro

I think the same kind of mixing happened on the Specifications tab:
Specs
Should not it be LTE or LTEA or LTE-A Pro instead?

On a side note, I don’t get why the router throughput is 400Mbps (DL+UL?) with a 1.2Gbps DL + 150Mbps UL cellular modem?
I am not a networking expert so please excuse my questions if I missed something obvious. With Speedfusion + encryption, it is capped to 60Mbps anyway, and if I activate the FEC or WAN smoothing it’s even less, correct?

Thanks for your answers,
Best Regards,
Romain

No they use different modems.

CAT4 is LTE, CAT6 is LTE-A CAT12 and CAT 18 both full under the LTE Advanced Pro grouping / standards.

Not convinced I agree. That line is referring to the difference in the number of LTE modems between a MAX Transit and Transit Duo. CAT4,6,12 & 18 are all LTE modems.

This is because the router hardware (CPU and RAM and components) have a maximum amount of supported throughput themselves (400Mbps in this case).

Although a CAT18 modem can theoretically support 1.2GBps of download it has been very rare to be anywhere with a cell tower that can support that level of throughput. Instead the other advantages of a CAT18 modem is what makes it attractive (4x4 MIMO, increased QAM modulation which can double the amount of available throughput in a tricky location).

If a customer wants to be able to use multiple gigabits of bandwidth over cellular they need to buy a more expensive MBX (or other X series product) to do that as these products have higher performing hardware.

Yes that’s right All of these technologies have a CPU and RAM overhead which affects available throughput. IN the case of FEC and WAN smoothing additional packets are being generated which consume more of the available bandwidth.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers Martin. It’s all clear now.

Regards,
Romain