MAX Transit LTE with External Poynting Antenna (RV)

Hi all, this is probably a stupid question so thanks for your patience. I have a MAX Transit LTE with a Poynting 7-in-1 on the roof of my RV. If I plug in all of the cables, that puts the antennas on the roof. That helps me pick up WiFi signals at campgrounds and such. But how does the AP work? What is the best way to get good WiFi from the router inside my RV? I’m not sure if the antennas have anything to do with the AP… clearly confused. Thanks!

Hi Monicarchy,

To help boost the WIFI inside the RV, I would look at the APO-AC-MINI, great little access point from Peplink. I have seen a lot of RVers use that to help boost the wifi signal in their RV. I would reach out to whoever sold you the Max Transit as they should be able to help you procure one.

I’ve wondered the same thing with my MAX BR1. I think the same WiFi antenna is used for both picking up the WAN signal for WiFi as WAN and for your local LAN AP. As far as I know there is no other antenna inside the device and it’s a metal box anyway so it wouldn’t work if there was. The one on the roof is the only WiFi antenna.

It should work fine unless you have a metal roof. That might be a problem. I have the Poynting 5-in-1 on my RV and it works pretty good. The antenna is right above the coach with a fiberglass roof so the WiFi signal inside is good. That said, I haven’t tried WiFi as WAN with this antenna.

If you can arrange it, I think it makes sense to use different bands for the WAN and LAN. i.e., if the campground WiFi is 2.4 GHz, put your LAN AP on 5 GHz or vice versa. I haven’t seen that recommended anywhere but intuitively it feels like a good practice.

Thanks to both of you! Putting another AP in the RV is a great idea, and I didn’t know Peplink made them. I’ll start researching that.

I’ve used campground WiFi once or twice, but it’s usually so slow and spotty it wasn’t worth the effort of setting it up. Good tips!

Have 40’ diesel pusher with data cabinet in rear drivers side using paddle antennas on a CAT-18. The WiFi signal to the front passenger side & the outside basement area were obstructed by washer, dryer, fridge & pantry. I used an AP One Mini to solve the problem. No experience yet with external antenna.

I actually need the signal to be the strongest right where the router is, but the antenna is on the roof. So, if I put the AP One Mini next to the router it should improve the WiFi signal I’m seeing on my laptop, for example – correct? Thanks for walking me through this.

Yes. I think you’d plug the second AP into the LAN port of the Pepwave. You’d want to shut down the AP in the Pepwave. No need to have both going if the internal one not going to be used because the signal is not strong enough.

I’m sure the Pepwave AP is a good device but if you just need WiFi in your coach and no special features then any cheap AP would probably work.

1 Like

Good advice – I have a couple extenders I can run some tests with. Thanks!

I am planning on a similar config but I think for it to work best both AP’s should be on… the AP with external antennas on the roof will typically have the best signal to campground wifi, and the mini AP (inside) will typically have the best signal to clients inside the van.

If I didn’t care to use campground wifi, I don’t think I’d do an external wifi antenna, and would only have one AP (the builtin ap), inside the van.

The main driver for me wanting an external wifi antenna is I intend to use the wifi at my house when parked there :). Maybe campgrounds or poaching McDonalds/starbucks/etc too :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you are using WiFi WAN, best to have a separate indoor AP for LAN. Can be a cheap $40 AP, you dont need all bells and whistles in most cases.

1 Like