Max Transit Duo - No POE

I’ve recently setup a Max Transit Duo and trying to connect my AP One Ax via POE with no luck.
I’m using the 56v power supply (ACW-622) on the Transit but when I connect my CAT6 cable to the AP it doesn’t power up.

I’ve tested with 3 different cables so I’m fairly certain it’s not a cable issue.

The AP powers up just fine with a separate 12vdc power supply, but obviously I want to take advantage of POE.

Firmware on Transit and AP are both up to date. Everything I’ve looked into so far states I don’t need to “activate” or “enable” anything specifically, it should just work.

Any ideas or tips?

1 Like

The Max Transit does not provide POE. You’ll have to use a POE injector or switch in between the Max Transit and AP One Ax. I’m using this one off Amazon myself between my Max Transit and AP One AC Mini’s.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW0AD1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have l pounded Peplink to give us a POE port on both the WAN and LAN ports. It only makes sense for a router focused on Transit community where amplified wifi access will greatly improve signal availability, for example various CPE solutions that require power.

Also, how do you use a POE switch to power ethernet connections that are required for BOTH the LAN and the WAN port simultaneously?

Thanks for your input.

@Legionetz Ah Thanks! Well that clarifies why it’s not working. Sucks my supplier sold me the power adapter for the Max Transit, but at least I can return it.

@joelbean Yeah I agree it’s a silly feature not to have, just makes sense to have it. I have mine setup in a 42’ fifth wheel RV, I work remotely out of it, and it’s already proven invaluable (running off of AT&T and Verizon simultaneously) just within these past two weeks alone. Definitely have some more configuration to play with but so far I love it, minus this POE miss.

Right. I have to have a POE switch on the LAN port and a separate POE injector on the WAN port for my Mikrotik Metal. Irks me.

You can configure 2 different VLANs on the switch and use one for LAN and one for WAN. Just make sure the ports for each VLAN are “untagged”. Here’s an example for you…

Port 1, VLAN 1 Untagged → To LAN MAX Transit
Port 2, VLAN 1 Untagged → To AP
Port 3 VLAN 9 Untagged → To WAN Max Transit
Port 4 VLAN 9 Untagged → To Microtik Metal

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware you can do this. It occurs to me that the switch has to be a managed switch. I’m also wondering what you Port 2 assignment is about.

I basically need 1 of my switch ports to support 1 WAN device, my Mikrotik, and ALL OTHERS for my LAN clients. How would this look in your example?

Thanks very much!

Ok, I’ll use the switch I linked above as the example for your use case. That switch has port 1-4 providing POE to any device that needs it and 5-8 don’t have POE. So it’s config for your use case would look like this…

Port 1, VLAN 9 Untagged → To Microtik Metal
Port 2, VLAN 1 Untagged → To LAN Client (Can provide POE)
Port 3, VLAN 1 Untagged → To LAN Client (Can provide POE)
Port 4, VLAN 1 Untagged → To LAN Client (Can provide POE)
Port 5, VLAN 1 Untagged → To LAN Client
Port 6, VLAN 1 Untagged → To LAN Client
Port 7, VLAN 1 Untagged → To LAN MAX Transit
Port 8 VLAN 9 Untagged → To WAN Max Transit

2 Likes

@Legionetz I’m curious about the VLAN setup. How will VLAN 9 traffic get to VLAN 1 traffic? Is it because the VLANs are untagged and the Peplink will act as the trunk?

Is there something missing in the configuration? Thank you!

strong text@C_Metz You, my friend, are the best! Thank you. I have never used VLANs but have been very tempted to dive in to how they might benefit my 40-client environment.

So do I understand correctly? Port 1 and 9 are on the same VLAN, so I would plug my MikroTik to Port 1 and plug my Max Transit to Port 8. Ports 2 through 6 are available to downstream clients, some with POE, and Port 7 is connected to the Max Transit LAN port to server these.

Just think through it and writing this have clarified how it works I think.

And will you confirm that the TP-Link switch you linked to will allow the VLAN setup? I’m ready to order it. ALSO, can I power this with my 12v circuit that I currently use for the POE injector and Max Transit? Do you know if the TP-Link switch uses the same 12v barrel connector that the Peplink does? :slight_smile:

Again, thanks!

It appears that the TP-Link switch is active POE only. This means that I can’t use it for the Mikrotik Metal 42 which requires passive 8-30v POE. The switch that I need seems to be hard to find. I need:

1. 12v-powered
  2. VLAN configurable
  3. passive AND active POE
  4. smaller form factor

Wish me luck.

Solved. An active POE switch is much more useful. For the Mikrotik, I just bought the Unifi adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9MJL91/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and this switch. Actually changed to this switch over the Netgear since it also supports aggregation and is cheaper and gets better Amazon reviews, AND is quite a bit smaller. Back to your original suggestion. :slight_smile:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW0AD1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Were you able to achieve this with only 12v power? All the injectors and switches I see require 48v. Which injector are you using?Looking for a way to power a PoE camera from my Max Duo that is hooked up via 12v in my camper. Thanks!

Yes. It worked fine. I wired a step-up converter into my 12v system. No problems.
I have since eliminated the switch and have an MBX router with POE. It works great.

With the Max DUO, you just need something like this. You should check the POE specs of the camera to be sure what input/standard it requires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENNUWO4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1